Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] MacBook with external Windows keyboard - layout mappings

On 10/05/18 22:37, Theo wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
Yes - I had: "What does Logitech say? They have software for their devices."

I shouldn't be rude, the guy did bother to type a reply (the only reply).

TBF there might be a third party workaround. But if you come from the Linux
mindset you automatically expect everything to be included and third party
drivers to be complete junk. MacOS is a bit more like Windows in that
respect: it's not Apple's job to make the experience nice for everything you
might add to your machine - the vendor sold you the hardware and the drivers
are also their responsibility.

But, what? Really? It's a keyboard. A generic USB keyboard. Even Mac
users who aren't well versed in other OSes much sure have at some point
picked up an external PC keyboard, plugged it in, broken layout, fix
layout, notice built in mappings now buggered - and said "this is
******** - why doesn't it "just work"?

Increasingly more drivers are being written by Apple these days, and more
devices are picking chips for which Apple have already written drivers, so
the above balance is shifting towards the Linux position. (It's also
becoming increasingly more difficult to write kernel extensions since
they're such a security risk and due to the amount of vetting Apple
requires)

I decided I'd probably have a more sensible conversation here

uk.comp.sys.mac is quite friendly and has quite a few people who Know Stuff.
Also covers iOS gadgets as well.

Theo

Thank you