Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] MacBook with external Windows keyboard - layout mappings

On 10/05/18 18:53, Theo wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
I'm just really quite surprised if MacOSX is too dumb to handle this
natively - external keyboards, especially Windows layout, are not a rare
thing to jack in to any laptop.

Generally the Mac worldview is to eschew anything 'complicated'. So the
answer to 'complicated' questions is often 'it can't be done', where the
Linux worldview is 'everything can be done, but only if you root around in
obscure config'.

(Often something can be done on Macs too, just the config is even less
well-known. The Apple forum is particularly annoying for the posters whose
default answers are 'can't be done' or 'you'll need to pay $$$ for Shiny
Solution X')

Theo

Yes - I had: "What does Logitech say? They have software for their devices."

I shouldn't be rude, the guy did bother to type a reply (the only reply).

But, what? Really? It's a keyboard. A generic USB keyboard. Even Mac
users who aren't well versed in other OSes much sure have at some point
picked up an external PC keyboard, plugged it in, broken layout, fix
layout, notice built in mappings now buggered - and said "this is
******** - why doesn't it "just work"?

To be fair, I'm quite impressed with the general smoothness of MacOSX
(coming from Linux) and it does, for the most part "just work".

I departed from Linux for Lightroom+Photoshop (no, Darktable and Gimp
does not really cut the mustard, if you have a choice)

plus the kid's needed access to many of the Adobe apps (which I can get
on education discount so pretty cheap) and Sibelius and Logic Pro X (the
last is not so cheap!)

I could run most of those on Windows, but I'd rather screw up a
blacksmith's vice across my temples than support Windows with 2 kids all
over it.

I decided I'd probably have a more sensible conversation here