Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife Jimmy Wilkinson Knife is offline

Default A/C vs. swamp cooler?

On Thu, 10 May 2018 04:01:49 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/09/2018 12:05 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Wed, 09 May 2018 06:18:40 +0100, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 8 May 2018 21:50:06 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 05/08/2018 03:44 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 08 May 2018 22:24:56 +0100, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 08 May 2018 15:47:32 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 08 May 2018 14:20:30 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

I detest fireplaces. When not in use, you can hear the neighbour's
dog through the chimney. And presumably you're losing a lot of heat
through it too.

That is why we have a fake one. It is a Dimco and the fire looks
pretty real (not just a roller wrapped in crumpled foil with a light
behind it). Most of the time it is just running in fake mode using a
few watts of power but there is a 1.44KW heater in there that is
plenty to warm the living room.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Fireplace%202.jpg

Direct vent gas fireplaces also do not let out heat or make you
listen to the neighbour's dog .

Yes those are fine, I was referring to the old fashioned coal/wood
fireplaces that belong two centuries ago.

I had a flat in an old brownstone that had three fireplaces, one fake,
one real, and one with a gas log. The real one was handy for breaking up
the furniture and tossing it in on cold nights. Twelve foot ceilings,
marginal heating, and lots of glass, it was a real Victorian wonder.

We call those "iceboxes"

The 12 foot ceilings are nice. I detest the cramped modern houses with
only 8 foot ceilings.

It had tin ceilings. The landlord sprung for the materials if I would
paint the place. Painting a tin ceiling off a high stepladder is a paint
in the ass

If you're getting paint in your ass you're really clumsy.

but it was nowhere near as bad as the French doors. I'm not
the person you send to pick out colors so I would up with coral and aqua
or some damn thing on the walls. I'd just finished when a friend stopped
by and said "Pink and blue! Is this for a nursery?'

Only women care about colours.

--
Caller: "Can you give me the telephone number for Jack?"
Operator: "I'm sorry, sir, I don't understand who you are talking about".