CBhvac

Default Digital Thermostat Click

"Art Begun" wrote in message
nk.net...
I bought a Robert Shaw at Ace and it crapped out after a few years.
Meanwhile a Lux and 3 Sears (not sure who makes the Sears) have lasted
much longer. All had a slight click. The RobertShaw was about $125.
The others were about half that.

The older Sears, since you didnt state when , or a model number, were made
by either Robertshaw, or Honeywell for the most part.
If you pull the front cover off, and there is a sticker still there that you
can read, or a imprint, or a number, manytimes you can tell that way...

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Dave Gallant" wrote in message
om...
Greetings:

I have a Hunter Digital Thermostat [Set and Save 110], and the

relay
makes a "click" noise every time the unit calls for heat. Their

help
department tells me that this is a normal function of this unit.

Is this a standard operation of all digital thermostats? If not, I
will be making a change. I have an office setup within 15 feet of

the
unit, and the sound can distracting. Suggestions on a good

replacement
would be appreciated - heat only, for hot water baseboards.

Thanks,

Dave

This is Turtle.

The Clicking noise on digital thermostats are normal in this way.

the upper
end of the quality scale of thermostats really rarely make any

Clicking
noise. now the lower end of the digital thermostat quality scale

will click
on most all the models. Now all brands make low end equipment and

high end
equipment except Hunter, Lux, and Jade, which does not make high end
equipment.

Now to Hunter, jade, and Lux being of any quality or not. They are

just one
of the boys down at the low end of the quality scale and it seems to

me to
have more trouble out of low end equipment at the lower end of the

equipment
scale. Now Honeywell, White Rogers, and Robert Shaw do make

equipment in
this low end equipment scale and i do see trouble out of them too,

but not
as much as Hunter, jade, and Lux with problems. This is my take on

the
thermostat game.

Now to the ideal of hvac people putting down Hunter, Jade, and Lux

for they
can be bought at any hardware stores all over and the hvac people

wanting to
sell you Honeywell, White Rogers, and Robert Shaw because you can't

buy them
and there is a better mark up on them. that is a bunch of bull for

any major
hardware stores [ Lowes, home depot, Southerlands, HobbyLobby, Ace,

and
Office Max ] all sell the honeywell, Robert Shaw, or White Rogers.

What I'm
tring to tell you is if your going to buy your own thermostat to put

on
yourself. Get the Honeywell, Robert Shaw, or White Rogers in the

place of
the Hunter, Jade, and Lux for just getting less trouble and i did

not say no
trouble. In my hvac business I see bad thermostats or malifuctioning
thermostats as the years go by and 80% of these will be hunter,

jade, or Lux
and 20% will be Honeywell, Robert shaw, or White Rogers. now one

note here
and that is i see the least trouble out of Honeywell than any other

brand.
Now your going to have to pay about $5.00 to $10.00 more for a

Honeywell but
i think it is worth it.

TURTLE