Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default A/C vs. swamp cooler?

On 05/09/2018 09:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I used to have a license for operating high pressure steam boilers up
500 HP. In the right place, steam is the superior choice for heat
because you can move it long distances. We used is for process in our
machines. For home use, it is really not that practical and can be a
bit fussy.

https://www.rpi.edu/dept/physical_plant/boiler/

Apparently the boiler is still alive and well. There was a network of
utility tunnels throughout the campus and as a plus some of the
sidewalks stayed snow free. Of course, students weren't supposed to be
in the tunnels. One memorable evening I had a Kampus Kop yelling 'Stop
or I'll shoot!'. I chose not to believe him and kept on going. My
leather jacket came away second best with scars from collisions with
various sharp brackets.

Many of the buildings were from the 1904-1916 era with the physical
plant to match.