Art Begun

Default Digital Thermostat Click

I have 3 Sears digital thermostats in my house all top rated by
Consumer Reports many years ago. Don't know who makes them. They all
have a slight click. I am very adverse to noise but they are not loud
enuf to be annoying.

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
You are right, there was no click with my digital Honeywell
thermostat. Can't really imagine there would be one with
any kind of electronic thermostat, wouldn't they all use a
solid state switch. Why would anyone put the mechanical
relay, if there is one, in the thermostat instead of at the
furnace. There may be a click at my furnace but there is so
much other noise when it start that you couldn't hear a
click without having the furnace cover off. A mechanical
relay in a digital thermostat sounds like a real design
flaw.

"Bob M." wrote:

There are a few that use solid-state components to activate the

HVAC
equipment, and these may be described as having battery backup,

but running
on the voltage provided by the HVAC equipment. But most of the

units are
more universal in their design, so they work on the majority of

control
systems used on HVAC equipment.

Unfortunately, the best and most universal way to activate the

HVAC
equipment is with dry contacts, the kind that small relays have.

Being an
electro-mechanical device, when the contacts activate, there is

some noise
associated with that action. Some are noisier than others. The

relays are
small, the contacts are small, so to make a good connection they

must really
"snap" into position.

After a while, either you get used to it, or you move the

thermostat around
the corner to a room or space where you can't hear it anymore, and

hope that
the resulting temperature is still within your comfort zone.

The original Honeywell round thermostats use a mercury switch

inside that's
totally silent as it makes the connection, but this kind of unit

is not
digital and can't be programmed. I would not be surprised however

to find
that the Honeywell units are very quiet, if not silent, so it may

be worth
buying one and trying it out. If there's no improvement, or it's

too noisy,
you should be able to return it to the store where you purchased

it.

Bob M.
======
"Dave Gallant" wrote in message
om...
Greetings:

I have a Hunter Digital Thermostat [Set and Save 110], and the

relay
makes a "click" noise every time the unit calls for heat. Their

help
department tells me that this is a normal function of this unit.

Is this a standard operation of all digital thermostats? If not,

will be making a change. I have an office setup within 15 feet

of the
unit, and the sound can distracting. Suggestions on a good

replacement
would be appreciated - heat only, for hot water baseboards.

Thanks,

Dave