Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Wright[_3_] Bill Wright[_3_] is offline

Default The Morris battery. Again.

On 09/05/2018 16:54, whisky-dave wrote:

A friend spent quite a few months replacing the main battery on his boat as he couldn't find a fully charged battery that would turn the engine over.
In the end he found out that the cable between the battery and the engine there was a 0.9V drop so he was only gettign 11V at the engine whereas previously he only ever measured the voltage from the battery which was 12V.
Once he replaced the cable the engine started, but the lenght of this cable was almost theb lenght of the boat, so unlikely to be the cause in a car.

I helped a friend (a friend in need...) who had a similar problem in a
motorhome. For some bizarre reason the starter battery was in a locker
instead of in the engine compartment. It wasn't all that far but during
a start the voltage at the starter motor was about 6V. In the end we put
the battery back where it should have been and that fixed it.

Bill