Zaf

Default RIDGID Lifetime warranty on power tools

Well, I resisted reply until I went to buy a jigsaw, and I checked out
Ridgid brand at Home Depot. My first impression was that the quality
was only fair to OK, on par with Ryobi/Skill. Overall the
construction quality did not seem up to snuff with Milwaukee or Bosch.
I noticed on the drills, the Ridgid chuck was plated while others
appeared cast, you could see the plating starting to chip on the edges
of the Ridgid, I see this frequently in Chinese made stuff, they tend
to cut corners here too much. Bosch is well regarded as having either
the best or one of the top two jigsaws and was $10 less then the
Rigid. Guess which one I bought? I'll give you a hint; I have'nt a
clue what the warrantee is on it....

I spoke to a friend who is a contractor, and he said Ridgid makes good
plumbing tools, he did'nt even know they made power tools. Do a few
searches on google/groups and the web and see what you find,
particularly in rec.woodworking. I won't bother to rehash all that
was said about them, but be aware, seeing as this brand has been
bouncing around in manufacturers, what was true a few years ago may
not be true today. A smile cracked on my face when I thought back to
the Ryobi like quality and stumbled on this:
http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/s...0/daily43.html

The comment about Hundai was right on, the warrantee is a marketing
thing, and it will get some people to try one, but to sustain a loyal
customer base, they better not be honoring the warrantee too often.
It is also much easier to grow when you are small, so don't kid
yourself by thinking Hundai will surpass GM in gross sales anytime
soon.

Finally to Kieth, try to grow up a little. You may think the most
important aspect of a purchase is the warrantee, I do not. I am not
willing to pay more for a long warrantee, if a product does not meet
my expectations, I will not be a happy customer, even if it replaced
under warrantee.

"Keith Ross" wrote in message v.net...
You die and your spouse tries to collect on your life insurance and she
finds out that is not worth the paper it was printed on

DUH

Just because you bought a Black and Decker...I mean DeWalt drill that has
only 1 year warranty, and now drills are offered with lifetime warranties..

I'd like to see your face when you saw the lifetime warranties on the power
tools THAT YOU BOUGHT INSTEAD !

heheh

"Zaf" wrote in message
om...
Umm, the more likely scenario:
Your $200 Rigid drill fails in 6 months and the warrantee turns out to
be not worth the paper its printed on. If your lucky Home depot
offers you 50 cents on the dollar for a dewalt replacement.

It always amazes me that people think they can get something for
nothing. Why do you think Hundai (spelling?) offers 100K mile
warrantee? Must be because they're better made then
Honda/Chevy/Toyota/Chrysler who offer lesser warrantees....