Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Edgetech Disc sand for TS

On 5/9/2018 9:52 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 5/8/2018 7:30 AM, Jack wrote:

I never used the one mentioned here, but I don't think a disk sander is
any where near as good as a TS in getting dead square and parallel
edges. Disk sanders are good at sanding curved edges.Â* IMO, if you
aren't getting good edges off the TS, you need to tune up the saw...

+1

OTOH, disc sanders are the bees knees for miter joints, not just curved edges.

I guess. While I will agree that the disk sander will form "a" good
miter, like a 45 miter, IMHO using one to do so is like using a jointer
to resurface all sides of a rough cut board. It will look good but will
you end up with the exact measurements? My TS and miter saw deliver
expected length cuts and exceptional fitting miter joints.

BUT if the disk sander had a jig or setup to guarantee exact length
results it would work better than with out.

My experience is that a tool should be equipped with a fixed reference
to insure precise results, ie. a surface planer bed, TS rip fence, TS
miter gauge fence stops.