Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C vs. swamp cooler?

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 9:18:10 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 9:19:05 AM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 9 May 2018 03:51:07 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 4:36:59 PM UTC-4, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 08 May 2018 20:58:52 +0100, Clare Snyder wrote:

On Tue, 8 May 2018 10:01:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/7/2018 7:26 PM,
wrote:

Most gas furnaces in the US are forced air distribution just like the
AC unit and use the same duct system. Using water and radiators went
away shortly after WWII. I never lived in a house with a radiator.

Here in New England water is still used a lot. I have baseboard and it
does an excellent job providing even heat and no noise. Central AC is
not as popular here as in warmer climates.

Another reason is fuel. Oil is still the most used and works best with
water. Electric, either resistance or heat pump is very expensive here
with the highest rates in the country.
Oil Forced Air was the "standard" for North American central heat
for decades. A LOT less problems than hydronics - and if the power
goes out and it gets cold Hydronics can get REAL EXPENSIVE, and REAL
FAST!!!!!

Why would a water based system cost more in a power outage?

The pipes freeze and burst.

Cindy Hamilton

Why doesn't EVERYBODY just plong the scottish fool ????

Well, as a pathetic Google Grouper, I can't. I find him somewhat
amusing, so I occasionally respond to his posts.

Cindy Hamilton

I like you Cindy. blush ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Shy Monster