CBhvac

Default Digital Thermostat Click

Sigh...another idiot opens his mouth and inserts his foot..

"SuperJim" wrote in message
.. .
George Wenzel wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Problem #1..Hunter and Lux, Cheapest of the Cheap. Garbage. Total

complete,
utter crap.

Can you provide some more info? I have a Lux, and haven't had any
problems with it (thus far). It's never made a noticeable click, to my
knowledge.

CBHvac is a licensed HVAC guy. He hates anything that allows a
homeowner to do something on their own, since if you can go out and buy

your
own thermostat and install it yourself he won't be able to charge you $300
for the stat + $120 to install it. In addition he won't be able to get a
foot in your door to sell you new equipment you probably don't need.

Let me explain something....I am licenced, because its the law here. Do I
agree with it? Nope. Do you think I enjoy forking over what it takes to keep
that damn licence and insurance each and every year?
The answer, is no.

Do I feel that I am more qualified to give an answer in regards to matters
like this than you or some electrical engineer? Damn right.

I have a Hunter stat myself for over 2 years now, haven't even had to
replace the batteries yet. My folks have had a Lux for at least 3 years
now. Never a problem. I have however seen a Honeywell fail (that's why I
have a Hunter stat now).

If CBHVAC had his way, you wouldn't even be able to buy air filters at
the local hardware sto You'd be hiring and paying him $300 every three
months to do the job.

Sigh...shows how little you know....

We sell filters, lets take 20X20X1...a very common size..for fifty freaking
cents....you want a CASE? Thats 25 BTW...
Pleated paper in the same size? about a buck. Labor to install....zero. You
got it bubba...someone wants a filter changed out each month...(yea...its
ever 30 days done correctly in this enviroment) we just work it into the
work schedule and swing over and put it in...
I cant tell you how many older folks we install them for at the first of
each month....for free...I think I can afford a few bucks back to the people
that have spent money with us, and trust us..

Want proof? Look how most of the technical trades have

"Apprenticeship"
systems in place: It doesn't take 5-7 years to learn a trade like
Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC, etc ... unless you're mentally retarded.

Funny thing is, it does not take that long to get a degree in
HVAC...sorry...
Anyone can do it...its finding someone to do it right, and take a bit of
pride in it.

Sorry you havent found that kind of person yet.

The
apprenticeship system is really just a regulator of sorts to keep supply

and
demand in check within the workforce under the guise that it somehow
improves safety. Sadly, people who would otherwise be brilliant working
certain trades are turned off by having to work under sub-standard wages

for
such a lengthy time.

Umm...no. In NYC for example, the only licence you must have is the EPA.
There is no licence needed to work in the field.
There are tons of hacks up there that will kindly take your money. Stormin
Mormon is one.

Here in Ontario one has to go through 5 years of an Electrical
Apprenticeship to get their license. By contrast to get their gas and oil
licenses, they need only take a 4 week course (full time) and pass a test
(50% is considered a pass, as I understand it). The instructors of these
courses know what's going to be on the exam, and train the students only

on
that content since failures can get them fired. Why is gas and oil like
this in Ontario, and Electrical is not? Because the labour rates in HVAC
here were going through the roof. Electrical rates are on the rise too --
BUT they have a strong union here.

I am anti union too...but if you had known anything about me, you would know
that.

Sorry if these seems like a rant, but the constant self-serving

whining
by some of these so-called pros about how homeowners should just sit on
their hands and do nothing really gets to me some times.

Good. It should. Really.
You know what rips me? When some idiot thinks he knows what I do based on a
couple of posts.
Let me ask you something....did you work today? Seriously. Did you? I did.
Ran 4 calls, and made zero. Why? Because it was all heat pump calls, except
one, an oil unit that needed about 60 seconds of adjustment. The other 3
took a combined total of about 2 minutes to fix, and 20 each to set back up.
It wasnt in my interest to charge them for that.....
Thats how I work. I also installed 3 furnaces last month for folks that
could not afford them, and when it came time to pay, I told them to have a
great Christmas and went on...sorry...but when I tell someone to get a
professional to look at it, it is for a reason.

Do I charge? Sure I do. I have to.
Do I charge as much as the next guy? Not even.
I have pics on my site right now, that proves why I say, HIRE A PRO...down
on the bottom of the pics page, there is an installation that we were asked
to look at....I am going to rip it all out, and replace it with new
everything, CORRECTLY, for about half of what he was charged for an illegal
and unsafe installation.
Will I make money? Sure I will....but before you condem me for charging,
when was the last time you worked for a couple of months, spent your own
money on others, and did if for free? When you can say you gave your
neighbor a furnace comepletely installed with permits and inpections and
code updates for no reason other than they needed it and cant afford it,
then you can blast me...till then, kiss my ass.

jim