Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default A/C vs. swamp cooler?

KenK wrote:
Has anyone ever compared power usage between a swamp cooler and a small
window A/C? I suspect the A/C uses a bit more power. or is it significantly
more? It would be a lot more convenient than a cooler. There seem to be a
lot of water pump, fan belt, pad water distribution and other problems with
a cooler despite decades of using one.

Thoughts?

TIA

Obviously more power to refrigerated air. Swap cooler was air conditioning.
Max drop of temp about 20 degrees, so if it's 115 degrees outside, 85
degrees coming out of cooler. The old belt drive fans were not efficient
like direct drive and switched mode. Never noticed much change in
electricity bills with little apartment swamp cooler. That said my whole
house AC refrigerated air is pretty efficient.

Greg