Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default A/C vs. swamp cooler?

On Tue, 8 May 2018 21:50:06 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 05/08/2018 03:44 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 08 May 2018 22:24:56 +0100, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 08 May 2018 15:47:32 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 08 May 2018 14:20:30 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

I detest fireplaces. When not in use, you can hear the neighbour's
dog through the chimney. And presumably you're losing a lot of heat
through it too.

That is why we have a fake one. It is a Dimco and the fire looks
pretty real (not just a roller wrapped in crumpled foil with a light
behind it). Most of the time it is just running in fake mode using a
few watts of power but there is a 1.44KW heater in there that is
plenty to warm the living room.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Fireplace%202.jpg

Direct vent gas fireplaces also do not let out heat or make you
listen to the neighbour's dog .

Yes those are fine, I was referring to the old fashioned coal/wood
fireplaces that belong two centuries ago.

I had a flat in an old brownstone that had three fireplaces, one fake,
one real, and one with a gas log. The real one was handy for breaking up
the furniture and tossing it in on cold nights. Twelve foot ceilings,
marginal heating, and lots of glass, it was a real Victorian wonder.

We call those "iceboxes"