Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Edgetech Disc sand for TS

On 5/6/2018 7:52 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
On Sun, 6 May 2018 16:31:52 -0700 (PDT), JayPique
wrote:

Has anyone used one of these? I was helping a buddy this weekend and he showed me a video of a guy using one, but I can't find much info - this is about it... https://www.wurthlac.com/storefront/...c/prodET2.html

This really seems like a superior way to edge sand, to me. Leave each edge say a 32nd oversize and sand it dead square and parallel. There is a similar product here...
https://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLP...PARTNUM=95-430

Thoughts? The Woodtek one is $37 and discs are $7 each - you have to set up an account to see the actual Edgetech price.

If the blade isn't making a dead square and parallel, then a sanding
disk on the same machine isn't likely to do any better.

Many years ago, before I had a disk/belt sander and before dust
collection, I made a plywood disk for the TS and attached sandpaper to
it. It worked, but the TS is the wrong tool, it turns way too fast and
created a huge amount of dust, and tended to burn the wood due to speed
of TS. You would need really good DC on the saw, both top and bottom.

My experiment led to immediate purchase of a 48" belt/disc sander combo.
The disk is one of my most used tools, and would hate changing the TS
Blade out every time is used it, even if it did work well, which it doesn't.

I never used the one mentioned here, but I don't think a disk sander is
any where near as good as a TS in getting dead square and parallel
edges. Disk sanders are good at sanding curved edges. IMO, if you
aren't getting good edges off the TS, you need to tune up the saw...

--
Jack
Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.