Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerry[_9_] Gerry[_9_] is offline

Default Museums in Ireland/Scotland?

On Mon, 07 May 2018 06:04:05 -0500, Pete Keillor
wrote:

On Mon, 7 May 2018 07:13:09 +1000, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 6/05/2018 11:40 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Sounds like a grand plan, Jon. Don't forget to check out Hogwarts
when you get to Scotland.

Game of Thrones tour, couple other sites TBD, then Scotland, where
wife's family came from.

Maybe check out some of the books on the Industrial Revolution
centering on those 2 countries to get a better idea of who did what
where, then look for history following them. Got a good library down
there?

Got a library... G It's at least a year out, plenty of time for research.

I'd avoid London if at all humanly possible, if you're touring
England, too. (Beirut is probably safer nowadays.)

Can fly direct to Edinburgh, no desire to visit London, though there are
lots of interesting sights to see.

Jon

---

One of my favorite London museums was the Kew Bridge Steam Museum, now
called the London Museum of Water and Steam. I used to like the
Science Museum. It had a very large model ship floor, plus a
fantastic mill engine on the main floor. Lots of other early steam,
too. It may have been "curated" since my first visit. Last time it
was closed for renovations.

I'm with you on Kew Bridge; if you are interested in aviation, Hendon
is worth a couple or more days. It has bee 13 years though so things
may have changed.

The Tower was great the first time, huge collections on display. The
last visit, it had been "curated" too, most of the really interesting
stuff hidden away, and more or less a narration they wanted visitors
to follow.

The Imperial War Museum was a good one. Enigma machine on display,
captured German stuff, etc.

I also liked the Greenwich Royal Observatory with the first
chronometers. My youngest son was ****ed when we looked at the prime
meridian and he finally snapped to what it meant. I used to listen to
"Station WWV, Fort Collins Colorado" to get the time, and snickered
about "Universal Coordinated Time". I began always calling it
"Intergalactic Space Cadet Time". For years, he thought that was the
real name.

Pete Keillor