Posted to alt.home.repair
KenK KenK is offline

Default A/C vs. swamp cooler?

trader_4 wrote in
:

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 9:36:29 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
Has anyone ever compared power usage between a swamp cooler and a
small window A/C? I suspect the A/C uses a bit more power. or is it
significantly more? It would be a lot more convenient than a cooler.
There seem to be a lot of water pump, fan belt, pad water
distribution and other problems with a cooler despite decades of
using one.

Thoughts?

TIA

I would suspect the AC will use significantly more. Compressing gas
in an AC is going to take significantly more energy than a pump moving
a small amount of water a short distance. They both have fans, though
the AC needs more fan power too, because it has to blow air through
the condenser coils too. In fact, using less energy is probably the
main feature of a swamp cooler. How much that comes to in $$ will of
course depend on the size, climate and hours it's run.

However, the cooler has a much larger fan, actually a big blower. It has
to move air through wet pads, not just a coil. The AC of course has to
run the compressor.