Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Garage door openers, manual release mechanisms...

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
Jim K submitted this idea :
How are electric garage door opener manual release mechanisms operated?

I want to fit one but I don't have a pedestrian access door in the
garage, so hoping there's a workaround for when sod
strikes?

It depends upon the type of door, but...

My electric roller shutter type, has a loop at one end of the roll,
into which a crank handle can be hook to manually wind it open or
closed. I have that door, plus a small side door and a third slightly
larger at the rear, so no need to be able to wind the roller from
outside. Where the roller is the only door, they do an extra kit, which
takes the winding mechanism through a wall, so a crank handle can be
used from outside.

That is what we have. Key release on the external crank access. Very low
geared so it only opens slowly.

--
Tim Lamb