CBhvac

Default Heat Keeps Shutting Off

"Frontier" wrote in message
To be clear, they did replace the valve back in late-November.

That is interesting about the condensation in the line. Could it also be
the fact that we have a gas fireplace? Could the fireplace be pulling
enough supply away to "shut down" adequate supply to the furnace?

Oh my...this is classic.
Just had a case similar.....seriously..no bull and if you are in the NC
area, I could even tell you where it was....

Got a call at 2am of no heat about 3 weeks ago...went out and checked for
the obvious. It was on a unit we installed about 2 years ago. Get there and
its in lockout. Reset it, and test for gas pressure and its fine. Check all
the obvious, like open limits, too high a flow, no inducer, water in the
inducer, clogged vac lines...nothing.
Its heating, and cycling like normal.
Get a call a day later..no heat.
I get there, its running perfect.
About an hour later...no heat.....and of course, when I stop what I am
doing, drive 30 miles, and check it, its running perfect.
I notice something...a new gas line t'ed off the main yardline...(its got
LPG) and I ask about it....its to a set of gas logs. Ok.....the logs?
Oh...they are off...we only use them when the heat is out...oooohkay...
I check for gas pressure, its there...but not real high...I check the
SmartValve..its testing normal, but no fire.. Check for pressure at the
valve...not at all there. Check my regulator..its ok...check the LPG
tank..its at 50%..well ok to run a set of gas logs, and a furnace....
Turn the logs off, since hes got them burning and the furnace fires....well
DUH! Did a gas line diametric real fast, and found out his logs had a couple
of issues....one, the gas line ran to them was too large...and the yardline
to the T was too small for both the furnace and the logs. The primary
regulator on the LPG tank was also bad, and when the pressure would have a
sudden drop (like when the furnace fired, or, he ran the gas logs with the
furnace running) it would not allow for the proper pressure to be
maintained, and one, or the other would go out. Wefoundout about the
regulator after he had the gas company come run a new yardline and they
could not get it to run either with the larger line...altho, now, after the
regulator and line was replace, hes warm.

Thanks for the help.

Roger

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message

Frontier wrote:

I am having trouble with keeping the heat on in our home. The heat

will
come on, as normal, but the blower and heat will shut down before

reaching
the temperature at which the thermostat is set and the thermostat

continues
to flash "heat" as if it thinks the unit is still on. This normally

happens
when the outside temperature gets below about 20 F.

We called in the heating people and they determined that the valve was

shot
from doing a test that showed that little gas was getting to the

furnace.
This was right after Thanksgiving. We had a warm spell and it seemed

be
working OK, but the last few days have been colder and it is happening
again.

SNIP

It could be because there is not adequate gas supply.
It's not uncommon for gas service lines to freeze up
in very cold weather due to condensate in the lines.
If so, this is a utility problem. In any event,
I think I would begin with a call to them; they are
often very helpful.

Jim