Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default plastic hf toolboxes

On 5/5/18 9:44 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/4/2018 1:31 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/4/18 10:56 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/4/2018 9:37 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/3/18 9:41 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2018 17:06:19 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Electric Comet on Thu, 3 May
2018 09:06:30 -0700 typed in rec.woodworking the
following:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 18:33:30 -0700 pyotr filipivich
wrote:

One option is paint.
good idea maybe even a uv stable clear coat would do but
even that can backfire as some plastics will not take a
finish

Then don't get that model.

Or just budget for another cheap replacement down the
road.

depends on the recipient and the use

better for it to last long and not need frequent
replacement

Like shoes - you can buy a pair at Walmart for 17.88 and
replace them in four months. Or you can buy a better pair
for $35 and replace them in a year. (Or, buy two pair,
alternate them daily, and replace them in a year and four
months)

Or, you can pay $150 and be able to actually walk for a year.
I can't imagine a $20 pair of shoes even fitting on my
dogs.

Personally, I've just gone through this. I bought a couple
pairs of Mephisto shoes with the intention of wearing them to
work in. One for outside and one for inside clients' homes.

Both pairs MSRP is up near or over $400. We have an outlet
store near us so I think I paid somewhere around $150-175 for
each. These are hand-made shoes made from real leather and
come with all the promises the commissioned salesperson can
muster. They treat you like royalty, compliment you, tell you
how great every shoe you try on looks and stop just short of
offering you a foot massage. You get to sit in big, comfy
chairs while smooth jazz plays softly in a room that smells
like lavender and rose pedals. And there's complimentary cold
beverages.

There's also an Academy Sports near us that sells a brand
named, Magellan, made in Asian factories. I got 2 pairs, for
under 40 bucks. I'm sure they're made with near-slave labor
with materials that would go up in flames quicker than a match.
In order to find a pair in the clearance section, you have to
wade through fat rednecks, entitled soccer moms, and immigrants
who smell like an onion bagel factory, stepping over baby
carriers and various misplaced sports balls in the hopes of
finding one of the only three benches in the entire store to
sit on while you try on your shoes. In the meantime, they're
blaring bro-county songs through distorting speakers, Bubba
just crop dusted me as he surely sharted himself walking past,
bratty kids are crying, screaming, running around, tripping on
you and your shoe boxes, and the minimum-wage earning
salespersons act like you're ruining their day by asking them a
question. There's high/low pair of drinking fountains in the
back with a father/son pair sucking on the nozzles like calves
on teats.

The 2 pairs of $150+ shoes I bought sit here waiting for
opportunities to be worn. They are very heavy, don't fit my
untra-wide feet, but I'm told they will stretch out over time
and feel better month-by-month and the memory foam will slowly
conform to my feet. They take a bit of effort to take on and
off. I'm nervous when I wear them because I'm afraid of
stepping in something gross or damaging such expensive shoes.

The 2 pairs of $20 shoes fit like a glove the first time I
tried them on. They are super-light, the memory form feels
great, already. They slip on and off without using my hands. I
have a pair that still feels great after about 4 years but I
finally had to toss them because I ran a utility knife through
the toe and got some roofing tar on one that is really tough to
get off. But you know what? There's another pair ready and
waiting for me for $20 down at Academy.

I pretty much only wear Timberland water proof hiking shoes and
usually pay $100~$130. I get 3~5 years use out of these with
everyday wear. I only wear an older pair for yard work.

I like those and almost bought a pair. I think I will end up buying
a pair soon. IIRC, they fit and felt great.

Yes, the feel good and basically need no break-in.

That's how the Brooks shoes that I prefer feel.
They run about $130, new, at the runners' shoe store. When I first
bought them, I bought "last year's model" at about 40% off. The last
time I saw them on sale on-line, I bought 2 identical pairs.

I would never need another shoe to wear again, if I lived where there is
no winter. But they are running shoes, so most of them are mesh
material which makes them freezing in cold weather.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--