CBhvac

Default Home Heating System

"Tom" wrote in message
om...
I have a forced hot air heating system. Even when the thermostat is
set to Off, power to the heating element in the heater stays on,
although the blower stays off. I can hear the heater clicking on and
off - I assume there is some sort of emergency shut off so it doesn't
get too hot if the blower is not on to remove the heat. The only way
to shut the system is at the circuit breaker. Does anyone know
whether the problem would be with the heater or the thermostat? I am
thinking it is a faulty thermostat since it wouldn't make sense that
the heater is receiving power with the thermostat in the Off position
unless the thermostat were faulty.

Is this a full electric or a heat pump with electric backup?
If its a heat pump, is it a Goodman or Janitrol by chance?

Either way, ten to one....its NOT the thermostat. Chances are you will reply
its a Goodman unit and that its a heat pump. If so, its a bad fan relay,
that also controls the electric strips and its bad. I keep several on the
vans...not van..but VANS....as in about 6 per. It is a VERY common issue,
and if not careful, sometihng that Goodman will get sued over.

What you need to do, in all seriousness, and no matter what make of unit you
have, is call a pro that knows what to look for, where to look and how to
repair it quickly...if not, you may find that your homeowers insurance isnt
as good as you had hoped....