NH

Default New Garbage Disposal Shot?

A week ago my friend and I installed a new In-Sink-Erator 444 garbage
disposal, along with a new dishwasher. Had no problems with either until
last night. While the dishwasher was running, both sides of the sink
started filling with water -- the kitchen drain had gotten clogged.

Here's the weird part: while the water sat backed-up in both sides of the
sink (took hours to drain), the garbage disposal was leaking from several
places on the BOTTOM of the disposal and had created a small lake under the
sink before we noticed it. It was dripping from the screws, from the reset
button...pretty much everywhere there was the smallest of openings.

The plumber came and fixed the clog in the drain today and now there's no
more leaking from the garbage disposal, whether we fill the sink with water,
run the dishwasher or run the disposal.

I have two questions:

Does it make sense that a clogged kitchen drain and a sink full of water
could create enough pressure to force water out of the bottom of the garbage
disposal?

And more importantly, even if it won't leak again, is it likely that the
water caused some internal damage to the disposal? Should I have it
replaced?

Thanks!

NH