Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default plastic hf toolboxes

On 5/3/18 9:41 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2018 17:06:19 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Electric Comet on Thu, 3 May 2018
09:06:30 -0700 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 18:33:30 -0700
pyotr filipivich wrote:

One option is paint.
good idea
maybe even a uv stable clear coat would do
but even that can backfire as some plastics will not take a finish

Then don't get that model.

Or just budget for another cheap replacement down the road.

depends on the recipient and the use

better for it to last long and not need frequent replacement

Like shoes - you can buy a pair at Walmart for 17.88 and replace
them in four months. Or you can buy a better pair for $35 and replace
them in a year. (Or, buy two pair, alternate them daily, and replace
them in a year and four months)

Or, you can pay $150 and be able to actually walk for a year. I can't
imagine a $20 pair of shoes even fitting on my dogs.

Personally, I've just gone through this.
I bought a couple pairs of Mephisto shoes with the intention of wearing
them to work in. One for outside and one for inside clients' homes.

Both pairs MSRP is up near or over $400. We have an outlet store near
us so I think I paid somewhere around $150-175 for each. These are
hand-made shoes made from real leather and come with all the promises
the commissioned salesperson can muster. They treat you like royalty,
compliment you, tell you how great every shoe you try on looks and stop
just short of offering you a foot massage. You get to sit in big, comfy
chairs while smooth jazz plays softly in a room that smells like
lavender and rose pedals. And there's complimentary cold beverages.

There's also an Academy Sports near us that sells a brand named,
Magellan, made in Asian factories. I got 2 pairs, for under 40 bucks.
I'm sure they're made with near-slave labor with materials that would go
up in flames quicker than a match. In order to find a pair in the
clearance section, you have to wade through fat rednecks, entitled
soccer moms, and immigrants who smell like an onion bagel factory,
stepping over baby carriers and various misplaced sports balls in the
hopes of finding one of the only three benches in the entire store to
sit on while you try on your shoes. In the meantime, they're blaring
bro-county songs through distorting speakers, Bubba just crop dusted me
as he surely sharted himself walking past, bratty kids are crying,
screaming, running around, tripping on you and your shoe boxes, and the
minimum-wage earning salespersons act like you're ruining their day by
asking them a question. There's high/low pair of drinking fountains in
the back with a father/son pair sucking on the nozzles like calves on
teats.

The 2 pairs of $150+ shoes I bought sit here waiting for opportunities
to be worn. They are very heavy, don't fit my untra-wide feet, but I'm
told they will stretch out over time and feel better month-by-month and
the memory foam will slowly conform to my feet. They take a bit of
effort to take on and off. I'm nervous when I wear them because I'm
afraid of stepping in something gross or damaging such expensive shoes.

The 2 pairs of $20 shoes fit like a glove the first time I tried them
on. They are super-light, the memory form feels great, already. They
slip on and off without using my hands. I have a pair that still feels
great after about 4 years but I finally had to toss them because I ran a
utility knife through the toe and got some roofing tar on one that is
really tough to get off. But you know what? There's another pair ready
and waiting for me for $20 down at Academy.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--