Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default welding/brazing steel to carbide

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 12:41:20 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

But the problem is that this application will be used to work with
molten glass . There's a glass bead maker here that wants me to make
some rods for making the beads . The "working end" of these , that is in
actual contact with the glass , is carbide* , the "handle" is steel .
I'll be getting more info from her when we get together next week , but
would like to have some ideas in hand by the

Greetings Terry,
I do some work for some glass blowers that gather glass onto sections
of copper pipe that is in turn held in a steel bushing on the end of
the blow pipe. The copper doesn't melt from the glass. I imagine the
carbide part will never get as hot as the glass becuase it will
probably be only piercing the glass, it won't be used to gather the
glass. So a high temp silver solder, a "hard solder", would probably
work fine.
Eric