Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default welding/brazing steel to carbide

On 01/05/18 19:35, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 18:00:40 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 4/30/2018 4:32 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Monday, April 30, 2018 at 10:40:37 AM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:

molten glass . There's a glass bead maker here that wants me to make
some rods for making the beads . The "working end" of these , that is in
actual contact with the glass , is carbideÂ* , the "handle" is steel .
If you don't want to burn your hand, a section of stainless tube has
less heat conductivity than solid steel...

So, what carbide is it? SiC, B4C, WC are all carbides, one would hope
that it's a bit of tungsten carbide composite (cobalt metal is what the
braze sticks to), but it doesn't hurt to ask. Even C2/C4 could make a
difference.

Â* At this time I have exactly zero details ... I was just wondering if
there was a hi-temp braze or TIG filler that would work . Right now I
have no idea what the operating temp is , but I do know that when I use
glass as a cover flux for brass/bronze melts it's a very thick liquid at
pouring temps .

I think you'll have to weld it, as brazing rod melts at 840C, bronze
at 900C, and non-liquid glass works at 1,427-1,538C.

http://www.glasscraftinc.com/home/gl...890/tools.html Many
seem to be graphite.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...+blowing+tools

There is a glass blower and foundry in town which was open one First
Friday (artsy shindig) for touring. Their utility bills are enormous
and it's hot work, like smithing, only quieter and a tad more gentle.

That was fun research. I was surprised that blowing tubes or hot glass
holders weren't common online. The Glass Forge used what appeared to
be something like 5/8 seamless tubing for blowing with some sort of
larger end at the hot working side, maybe carbide.

--
When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake.
-- Stephanie Barron

The temperatures you mention of 1427C to 1538C are the sort of
temperatures that are used to convert the glass batch, the raw
ingredients, into molten glass, that is far higher than the working
temperature of the glass even borosilicate. I make glass blowing irons
from time to time and use 316 seamless tubing for the shanks and 310 for
the heads. 310 and 309 are common for the heads, some spendy makes use
inconel if you have the money. I have never heard of carbide used for
the heads. Typical glass I blow whether soda lime or lead crystal is
held at about 1100C for gathering and is worked at a lower temperature.
The blowing irons are common online although they're not many makers, in
the US you should find Steinert, Spiral Arts, and Nickelite to name a few.