Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Greedy parakeets in S.E.London - how to deter them.

On Monday, 30 April 2018 14:02:18 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
On 2018-04-29, wrote:
i called the RSBB last year they said they dont consider
parakeets a nuisance

That's because they aren't. In Northern Europe parakeets cannot
survive outside of urban environments.

Parakeets are the third or fourth most numerous species on Hampstead
Heath. Whilst, admittedly, the Heath is entirely enclosed within London,
it is really quite a large non-urban environment, amounting to 790
acres of woods and grasslands.

I believe they were first seen in the park at Hampton Court. Quite a
novelty some 40 years ago. And spread outwards from there.

I heard some ecsaped during the filming of the african queen.

but.
A persistent rumour regarding London's population of feral Ring Necked Parakeets is that they originated from birds escaped or released from the filming of this movie, however this claim is considered dubious.[22]

my video of some Parakeets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh_X0n9vjp8