Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Greedy parakeets in S.E.London - how to deter them.

We regularly put out a hanging feeder containing peanuts for the blue
tits and others birds in our garden. Unfortunately they seldom get much
of a look in these days because as soon as the feeder is refilled with
nuts some green parakeets arrive and feast on them until they have eaten
nearly everything.

We also have one of those peanut feeders that has a wire cage around
it to deter squirrels and larger birds but the tits around here are not
at all keen on using it, so I'm looking for an alternative way to feed
the small birds but not the large ones.

I know that hot chilli powder on the peanuts will deter squirrels from
eating them but does anyone know of something similar which might deter
these wretched parakeets?

Parakeets may be pretty birds to look at occasionally but when you
regularly get LOTS of them sitting in the trees, squawking loudly, and
dropping 'droppings', as they do in this South East London area, ones
benevolent attitude towards an otherwise attractive bird definitely
starts to harden.

Does anyone know of any proven, and not outrageously expensive, bird
feeders that will allow us to feed our blue tits and NOT the parakeets?
I'm very willing to build a DIY device if anyone knows of a design that
actually does work.

In order to keep the RSPB off our backs, I guess I'll have to stop
JUST short of 'termination with extreme prejudice'. ;-)

TIA - Dave.

--
David C.Chapman - )
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Chapman wrote:
[...]

Any bird that grows up in SE london was known to be a messy slut and
definitely raucous.

Id ciet Janet Styreet porter, but it appears she is west london.

Does anyone know of any proven, and not outrageously expensive, bird
feeders that will allow us to feed our blue tits and NOT the parakeets?
I'm very willing to build a DIY device if anyone knows of a design that
actually does work.

..22 air rifle and shoot the buggers. I think they are calssed as vermin
anyway.

In order to keep the RSPB off our backs, I guess I'll have to stop
JUST short of 'termination with extreme prejudice'. ;-)

I dont think you do.

TIA - Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Chapman wrote:

Does anyone know of any proven, and not outrageously expensive, bird
feeders that will allow us to feed our blue tits and NOT the parakeets?
I'm very willing to build a DIY device if anyone knows of a design that
actually does work.

.22 air rifle and shoot the buggers. I think they are calssed as vermin
anyway....

The Monk Parakeet and the Ring-Necked Parakeet are included in the
General Licence for the prevention of 'serious damage to livestock,
foodstuffs for livestock, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber,
fisheries or inland waters'.

The Monk Parakeet only is in the General Licence 'to preserve public
health or public safety'.

I don't think that stopping them from eating food put out for other wild
birds comes under either licence.

There are thought to be only about 100 Monk Parakeet in Britain, so
these are probably Ring-Necked Parakeet, which is a pity as Monk
Parakeet droppings could be classed as a public health hazard. That
means that Dave would need to kill them only for the purposes of
protecting any growing crops, vegetables or fruit he may have in his
garden and not for the purpose of stopping them from eating the bird food.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
David Chapman wrote:

[...]

Can't he eat the parakeets?

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Chapman" wrote in message

[...]

Information on the legalities etc for killing them
http://tinyurl.com/7fxgp6t

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2012 18:19, Nightjar wrote:
David Chapman wrote:

[...]

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Ima...tcm6-24151.pdf

"To kill or take certain birds to conserve flora
and fauna (including wild birds)... this licence permits:
(i) Authorised persons to kill or take any of the wild birds listed...
Parakeet, Monk...
Parakeet, Ring-necked ..."

As you are the landowner you seem to be clear.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Chapman wrote:
[...]

Well a lot of parrots love dried chilies so I don't think that will work.
Our Blue tits do go in and out of our anti-squirrel cage so I'd just give
'em more time to get used to it.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 20:52:26 +0000
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Nightjar wrote:
David Chapman wrote:

[...]

"Birds killed or taken under this licence may be eaten but may not be
sold for human consumption."

So, yes. But first he has to kill them in a prescribed manner. Does he
have a firearms license?
--
Davbey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
David Chapman wrote:
[...]

Also, isn't there a law about discharging a firearm within n yards of a public right-of-way?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What a bloodthirsty lot of responses!

In my posting I specifically said:-

In order to keep the RSPB off our backs, I guess I'll have to stop
JUST short of 'termination with extreme prejudice'. ;-)

but almost every response I've read discusses means of completely
EXTERMINATING them.
This isn't America - I was hoping for a few suggestions about
selective feeding methods rather than ways to annihilate the wretched
creatures.

More suggestions are most welcome, but please use a bit more
imagination.

TIA - Dave.

--
David C.Chapman - )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

other good stuff snipped

Colin Bignell

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Ima...tcm6-24151.pdf

"To kill or take certain birds to conserve flora
and fauna (including wild birds)... this licence permits:
(i) Authorised persons to kill or take any of the wild birds listed...
Parakeet, Monk...
Parakeet, Ring-necked ..."

As you are the landowner you seem to be clear.

Andy

I LOVE this group: such a wealth of good information!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 24, 5:20*pm, David Chapman wrote:

*Parakeets may be pretty birds to look at occasionally but when you
regularly get LOTS of them sitting in the trees, squawking loudly, and
dropping 'droppings', as they do in this South East London area, ones
benevolent attitude towards an otherwise attractive bird definitely
starts to harden.

Horrible things. They seemed to drop off a bit last year here (SE14)
but this winter will done them a favour.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 09:00:12 +0000, Terry Fields
wrote:

The small birds will take a little time to get used to the new
arrangement, usually only a couple of days, so stick with it.

Birds adjust. Even the robin uses the seed feeder now.
He has to wait til the flock of sparrows disapears though
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Chapman wrote:

[...]

With around 15 million Blue Tits over wintering in Britain, I rather
suspect that stopping parakeets from eating at one bird feeder would not
count as an essential conservation measure.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

....snip... With around 15 million Blue Tits over wintering in Britain, I
rather
suspect that stopping parakeets from eating at one bird feeder would not
count as an essential conservation measure.

Colin Bignell

We had similar problems with feral pigeons so we bought a squirrel-proof
bird feeder. The pigeons are too large to get at the seed. A parakeet
might get through but worth a try.

Interesting to hear about your problems though; we have ringnecks in Enfield
now (N. London, just inside the M25) but they stay in the tops of trees and
I've never seen one even close to a bird feeder. I wonder what's the
difference!

Paul DS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 08:23:58 -0000, "Paul D Smith"
wrote:

...snip... With around 15 million Blue Tits over wintering in Britain, I
rather
suspect that stopping parakeets from eating at one bird feeder would not
count as an essential conservation measure.

Colin Bignell

We had similar problems with feral pigeons so we bought a squirrel-proof
bird feeder. The pigeons are too large to get at the seed. A parakeet
might get through but worth a try.

I use large long cable ties to deter pigeons from a feeder support
bracket from which they could get at a feeder ,tightened them so the
ends stick out spike style. Small birds can get in amongst them and
some are even light enough to stay perched on them as they bend down.
The pigeons are too heavy and the sticking out tie interferes with
their wing movement so they can't stay near the feeder. They are then
forced to eat from a pole mounted catch tray which catches any
spillage so there is no waste to attract Rats. Fortunately we don't
have hordes of feral pigeons ,just a couple of wood* ones known
Laurenne and Hardy and a couple of collared doves.
*That is wood as in breed not what they are made of before the
comedians chip in.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There are some suggestions of types of caged feeders he

http://www.vinehousefarm.co.uk/blog/...n-bird-feeders
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 24 February 2012 17:20:49 UTC, David Chapman wrote:
[...]

I now have a similar problem in Barnet North London, now made worse by the fact they also have young. I found your post and all the replies on this subject most interesting. I have six feeders four of which are supposed to be squirrel proof from the RSPB. but the parakeets seem to be able to use them as you may have found out. The Parakeets are driving our smaller native Birds away. I read,- your problem with these was several years ago and do hope you were able to solve this without externalization "Heh Heh".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Give the kids something to do with air pistols
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm, another issue is that Magpies Parakeets and Rooks have been waging war
around here as the street trees they used diminish due to people wanting
drive ways fitted.
Its like world war three near any tree left standing ith one lot throwing
the nexst materials out from one of the others etc. I guess since they have
been doing this for some months now, the chance of any offspring of any of
them is quite remote.....
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Build them their own forest with fruiting trees I think is the answer, notw
for the pigeons...
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"FMurtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

i called the RSBB last year they said they dont consider parakeets a nuisance

THEY MUST BE MAD. I think they are being irresponsible . thee birds are all over Europe and becoming a huge problem

I no longer have many small birds in my garden because of thee monsters. wild and garden Birds are in such decline when is someone going to do something about this

i hate them i definitely would like to shoot all of them - not the RSPB

( actually thats a point ?) i mean the birds
at present I have a huge water pistol but I dont think it is going to be very effective

Gillie SW london

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 08:46:56 -0700, 138wpj wrote:

( actually thats a point ?) i mean the birds at present I have a huge
water pistol but I dont think it is going to be very effective

Don't go flashing that water pistol around in London these days, mate.
The Met police will assume the worst and act accordingly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 18:16:07 +0200, Martin wrote:

We have the same number even perhaps more small birds and two parakeets
that visit.

How 'tame-able' are they? I mean, obvs they'll always be wild if born in
the wild, but do they show any proclivity towards human interaction?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not particularly.
The problem is not these birds but loss of habitat for many birds. it seems
around here in the suburbs, if somebody wants a drive way, despite having a
back entrance and long gardens, down comes an established tree and then
where do all the birds go?
OK so they plant 2 little saplings to compensate, but it will be many years
before the get big enough to hold birds. We used to have pitched battles for
the tree opposite between magpies, Parakeets and crows/rooks in the past but
now of course the tree just went one day and in came a driveway.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 18:16:07 +0200, Martin wrote:

We have the same number even perhaps more small birds and two parakeets
that visit.

How 'tame-able' are they? I mean, obvs they'll always be wild if born in
the wild, but do they show any proclivity towards human interaction?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

I no longer have many small birds in my garden because of thee monsters.

I've got a flock of parakeets regularly visit my garden. In addition I've
got blue tits nesting, along with resident robins, wrens, and the occasional
goldfinch, coaltits and long tail tits. (If I stood looking out of the window
all day, which I don't I could probably add to this list) Among larger birds
I get regular visits from woodpeckers and a flock of the ubiquitous starlings.
Not forgetting the odd woodie or two and ground feeding blackbirds. Not
forgetting the squirrels,

In my case, and doubtless this applies in general, all these species
visit at different times. The parakeets visit mainly over two 20 minute
periods in the mornings and evenings. The smaller birds appear at various
times during the day. Whether the smaller birds are inconvenienced to the
extent that they have to reschedule their appearances to accommodate the
larger birds I don't know, but they seem to manage well enough.

Unlike squirrels who will take food to hoard, birds don't do this. Neither do
they gorge themselves as this would put them at a disadvantage
when flying around. So they don't deplete food stocks to any great
extent. These particular parakeets appear to nest in hollows in the
trees in a nearby park.

wild and garden Birds are in such decline when is someone going to
do something about this

As was mentioned elsewhere the sparrow population has declined markedly
in recent years. One possible explanation is a parallel decline in those
insect numbers which provided a main source of their food; possibly as a
result of increased use of, or more effective, pesticides.

A decline in suitable nest sites may also be a cause. Possibly as a
result of over enthusiastic "tidying up" of overgrown
areas alongside railway lines, rivers canals etc.

michael adams