Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default welding/brazing steel to carbide

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 18:00:40 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 4/30/2018 4:32 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Monday, April 30, 2018 at 10:40:37 AM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:

molten glass . There's a glass bead maker here that wants me to make
some rods for making the beads . The "working end" of these , that is in
actual contact with the glass , is carbide* , the "handle" is steel .

If you don't want to burn your hand, a section of stainless tube has
less heat conductivity than solid steel...

So, what carbide is it? SiC, B4C, WC are all carbides, one would hope
that it's a bit of tungsten carbide composite (cobalt metal is what the
braze sticks to), but it doesn't hurt to ask. Even C2/C4 could make a
difference.

* At this time I have exactly zero details ... I was just wondering if
there was a hi-temp braze or TIG filler that would work . Right now I
have no idea what the operating temp is , but I do know that when I use
glass as a cover flux for brass/bronze melts it's a very thick liquid at
pouring temps .

I've TIG brazed tungsten carbide to steel and stainless steel with
silicon bronze wire with some success. If heat resistance is more
important than strength and impact resistance, and if you can use a
generous fillet or vee joint, it might be worth a try. The silicon
bronze wets the carbide pretty well, but will not flow into a butt
joint like silver solder will.

--
Ned Simmons