Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Repairing A Variac

On 2018/04/30 6:17 AM, wrote:
http://www.directindustry.com/prod/e...tm_campaign=CA

Used its equivalent - it works.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Peter, does that have a suitable breakdown voltage for 130 - 150VAC? I
didn't bother sending the manufacturer my email address so they would
send me the docs to verify. However the ad says it is suitable for LEDs
and circuit boards, doesn't mention higher voltage applications.

For the OP be really sure to clean between the windings where the arcing
occurred, you want to remove any sharp edges or points on the wire or
any carbon residue. There are dialectic varnishes designed for higher
voltages such as MG Chemicals Corona Dope:

https://www.mgchemicals.com/products...rona-dope-4226

John :-#)#