Posted to uk.d-i-y
Caecilius[_2_] Caecilius[_2_] is offline

Default Emulsion Cost

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 09:43:26 +0100, RJH wrote:

My sister's having an extension built and is likely to settle on a
quote - £140k (inc VAT) fully finished, looks to be about 10m x 5m, 2
storey, 3 rooms and a bathroom. About £25k on a zinc roof which partly
explains slightly high rule of thumb cost.

She's asked me to look at the quote. One figure that struck me was
'Emulsion walls - 200 hours, Emulsion ceilings - 82 hours; £11.50/hr,
£3243, plus VAT, plus paint'. Paint is quoted at 9 x £45 - I'd guess
that's 10l tubs - lot of paint!

Of the entire quote that is one thing I have actually done - an entire 4
bed newly plastered house in fact. And I reckon *I* could emulsion 4
rooms (bathroom is actually tiled, just the ceiling) in about a week,
say 3 coats, with some very generous coffee breaks.

Am I missing something here?

Perhaps suggest splitting the work, and asking the builders to quote
for the construction and wet trades only. Then get a seperate quote
from a decorator to paint the bare plaster.