Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why are motors not current limited?

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 23:47:46 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

I have an electric kettle at home I found at a thrift store years ago and paid $3.00 for it. It is extremely useful when I was in need of boiling water for Ramen Noodles. I really don't drink hot tea or coffee so I used it for other things in need of hot water. It whistles when it's ready and uses a standard 120vac outlet so I can plug it in anywhere in the house. I could boil water on the gas stove but that seems like a waste of energy and dumps heat into the house in the summer months for the air-conditioning to deal with. The electric kettle is very convenient. As I recall, it draws 800 watts at 120vac which is not very much power for what it does. It's one of the most useful small electric appliances that I own. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Boiled Monster

800W?! That must take hours.

OK that is about a pound of water (a pint or .5 l according to the
directions) Call it 145 BTU assuming you start with 67 F water.
800w/hr = 2730 BTU so it is about 1/19th of an hour, ~3.15 minutes.

I think you can wait 3 minutes for Ramen. (that is about as long as it
takes in my microwave too)