Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why are motors not current limited?

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 00:36:56 +0100, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Mon 23 Apr 2018 01:01:20p, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife told us...

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 20:16:00 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Mon 23 Apr 2018 11:31:01a, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife told us...

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 18:48:31 +0100, trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 1:22:17 PM UTC-4, Jimmy Wilkinson
Knife wrote:
On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 15:58:16 +0100, trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 10:39:12 AM UTC-4, Jimmy
Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 15:34:12 +0100, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 05:11:13 -0000 (UTC), Wayne
Boatwright wrote:

On Sun 22 Apr 2018 05:53:35a, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife told
us...

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 13:19:20 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Sat 21 Apr 2018 11:45:29a, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife
told us...

On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 19:34:56 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Sat 21 Apr 2018 10:30:54a, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife
told us...

On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 17:34:51 +0100, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 16:29:06 +0100, "Jimmy
Wilkinson Knife" wrote:

On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 16:13:43 +0100, Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 9:57:48 AM UTC-5,
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 15:50:07 +0100, Uncle
Monster wrote:

On Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 9:42:58 AM
UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 12:35:25 +0100, "James
Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

How hard can it be to put some kind of
electronic limiter on a power tool so if
you over-stress it, it doesn't consume
enough current to melt the coils?

I assume something like this must be done
on electric cars, or instead of stalling
the engine, you'd wreck the motor.

Most motors that are to be used unattended
do have thermal overloads in them. I guess
hand tool manufacturers assume you will stop
before you burn up the tool

I've been on construction sites where I'd
cringe when I heard workers abusing both
hand-held and table saws. One
of the things I was always
repairing/replacing were the power cords on
circular saws where some genius carpenter got
it caught in the blade.
o_O

I did that with a hedge trimmer once.
--

You folks use 220vac 50hz as I recall. Did you
have a lot of sparks or did the fuse blow

[8~{} Uncle Fused Monster

The only observation I made was the trimmer
stopped running. Of course I had a proper 3A fuse
in the plug, not the 13A standard everyone seems
to use. And no I don't have any form of circuit
breaker, earth leakage or otherwise.
North american stuff doesn't have fused plugs.
We fuse the feed circuit.

But you might have a table lamp or a heater plugged
into that circuit. In the UK we fuse according to
the appliance. It also means we don't have to run
a seperate wire to every ****ing outlet.

Is that why your plugs are so damned large?

They're an easy size to get hold of. Your mickey
mouse ones are pathetic. Do you have tiny little
hands or something?

And we had them that large before fuses, it ain't the
fuse that takes up the space, it's because they can
take 13 amps. Over 3 kilowatts on any device we
like, no need for special circuits with different
currents and voltages, just one standard plug and
socket for anything you like, anywhere in the house.
I can plug a computer, a lamp, a hairdryer, a vacuum
cleaner, or a clothes dryer into the same outlet.

OK, I undeand. Apparently at some point the US
considred convertng to a system similar to that in the
UK, but because of the already existig proliferation
of both low and high volage devices, wiring, sockets,
and plugs in the US, it was deterined impractical.
At that point in time, there was not such a
proliferation of such devices in the UK.

Why would it be impossible to make all your future
plugs the same, but containing a fuse? And you could
gradually move over to the higher voltage too to
simplify things. New appliances could run on the higher
voltage, in fact switched mode power supplies would run
on either.

I never said it would be impossible, but at this late
date it would probably be economically unfeasible given
the millions of devices from generating stations down to
single households. I'm also not suggesting that either
system is better or worse than the other. What works in
either country happens to work and no one on either
side of the ponnd seems to have a problem with their own
system. Personallhy, I don't really care. I was only
curious some physical attributes of the UK system.
Back in about 1954? Ontario Hydro decommissioned the
old 25 hz
system in the remainder of Ontario to switch up to 60 hz.

This required the replacement of all induction motors,
ballasts and clocks in the affected area. At that time it
was a major hassle, but not a disaster, due to the
relatively small number of induction motors and
flourescent lights in use, as well as clocks.

Can you imagine a changeover of that magnatude today?
Particularly changing operating voltage - which would
require changing anything with a transformer, a universal
motor, a light bulb, etc AS WELL as the inductionmotors
and ballasts which needed to be changed for the frequency
shift???????

It would be a MAJOR disruption to ALL life in North
America.

To say it wouldn't be impossible is pretting a pretty
litteral and restrictive definition to the word.

At that time they did not decommission all the 25 hz
generators - they installed HUGE rotary frequency
converters which have only now been decommissioned with
the overhaul od the last generating stations - with some
industries in New York STILL running on 25 hz up untill
the conversion in 2006? when the 25hz generators at the
old Rankine station were decommissioned.

But it isn't a sudden change in voltage. 240V is already
in all American homes. You just move stuff over as you buy
new things and use the higher voltage instead of the centre
tap. Eventually the centre tap is obsolete.

Why don't we just convert all our cars to run on diesel
because you say that's better too? Makes as much sense.

No, making all *new* cars use diesel would make sense. It's
more efficient.

The underlying fact here
is that there is no problem that needs to be solved. 120V
works just fine.

But you've got more than one type of socket and more than one
circuit on the house. It's pointless.

Have you been here to a typical house? I have a 3200 sq foot
house and every receptacle is the same, accepts the exact same
plug, with one exception. That's the dryer which has a 240V,
30A receptacle, which supplies 2.5X the power you can get out
of the receptacles you say you have. I'm like most people, I
don't move the dryer around, don't need to plug use it in the
living room or bathroom. It stays in the laundry room, plugged
in there.

And big portable power tools? What about the washing machine
and the dishwasher? You never redesign your kitchen?

As for "more than one circuit", I would assume you have that in
the UK too, unless you're now telling us everything is on one
240V 15A circuit.

More than one TYPE of circuit, do I have to spell everything out
for you?

Here's an idea. Almost the whole rest of the world drives
on the right side. Why don't you convert? It's easy. Just
do it a street at a time, having cars drive both on the left
and right while making the transition. They could sell new
cars with the steering wheel on the left, and just evolve
over time. It would be easy.

That's nothing like the same thing, you're seriously **** at
analogies. You're currently driving on both sides of the road
with two voltages. Im suggesting you gradually move to one of
them.

It's exactly the same thing. Being right drive obviously works
for you. But, heh, I don't like it. So, you should change and
be like almost all of the rest of the world. Just like your
crazy idea of rolling out new household appliances that are
240V, rolling out cars that are left hand drive should
similarly be no problem, converting over highways, little at a
time, should go just swell. So, get on with it already!

Look ****wit, the analogy is fatally flawed. We drive on ONE
side, you drive on ONE side. But with electrics we have ONE
voltage and you have TWO. It's not about CHANGING voltage, it's
about phasing out one of them.

Easier said than done! Period!

But it isn't a big task, you just do it gradually. Start putting
in some 240V outlets in new houses, make new equipment take the
higher voltage. Make adapters, whatever. Aren't your 110V
outlets actually split phase so you can just replace the plate
with a single 240V socket and ignore the centre tap?

I'm not sure, and I'm too old to care. All of my lights, small
appliances, and electronic gear work just fine the way they are.

But you can't plug up to a 3.1kW device into any outlet you like anywhere in the house. Power tools, fan heaters, kettles, irons, two things on one adapter, there are so many things that half the power just ain't enough for. It's so much more convenient in the UK to be able to power anything in any room from any socket.

--
According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Wolfgang Butterballs of Staines, England jettisoned a record 813ml of ejaculate on June 22, 1997. The average is 3.5ml.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 19:57:09 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

But you can't plug up to a 3.1kW device into any outlet you like anywhere in the house. Power tools, fan heaters, kettles, irons, two things on one adapter, there are so many things that half the power just ain't enough for. It's so much more convenient in the UK to be able to power anything in any room from any socket.

How much portable 3KW equipment do you have? It is pretty hard to find
anything you can carry around except your 2kw tea pots that is more
than 1440w. We are not in that big a hurry to drink tea ... or drink
tea at all.
I drink iced tea but I cold brew that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile Yanks Alert! LOL

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 18:42:13 -0400, , the mentally
challenged, notorious, troll-feeding retard, blabbered again:

I drink iced tea but I cold brew that.

You suck troll's cock, Yankie cocksucker!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Funny thing is that I and the others here have all that's on your list
and more working perfectly fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 16:19:07 -0700 (PDT), trader_4, the notorious,
troll-feeding Yankietard, driveled again:

Funny thing is that I and the others here have all that's on your list
and more working perfectly fine.

The REAL funny thing is that HE got YOU on his hook, and you senile
Yankietards don't even realize what's going on! BG

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 7:22:49 PM UTC-4, Peeler wrote:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 16:19:07 -0700 (PDT), trader_4, the notorious,
troll-feeding Yankietard, driveled again:

Funny thing is that I and the others here have all that's on your list
and more working perfectly fine.

The REAL funny thing is that HE got YOU on his hook, and you senile
Yankietards don't even realize what's going on! BG

If the rest of us are on JWS's "hook", then what does that say about
you? You're here responding to him more than anyone else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 16:41:58 -0700 (PDT), trader_4, the notorious,
troll-feeding Yankietard, driveled again:

The REAL funny thing is that HE got YOU on his hook, and you senile
Yankietards don't even realize what's going on! BG

If the rest of us are on JWS's "hook", then what does that say about
you? You're here responding to him more than anyone else.

I'm not even reading most of his ****, you troll-feeding stupid ****!
Posted to alt.home.repair

2.4kW actually, and they're called kettles. How the **** do you heat hot water to make coffee, tea, or to put in a saucepan to cook food?

And there's a 2.2kW angle grinder sat to my left. Where the **** would you plug that in in your home?

--
What should you do if a girl sits on your hand?
Try to get her off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

But you can't plug up to a 3.1kW device into any outlet you like anywhere in the house. Power tools, fan heaters, kettles, irons, two things on one adapter, there are so many things that half the power just ain't enough for. It's so much more convenient in the UK to be able to power anything in any room from any socket.

How much portable 3KW equipment do you have? It is pretty hard to find
anything you can carry around except your 2kw tea pots that is more
than 1440w. We are not in that big a hurry to drink tea ... or drink
tea at all.
I drink iced tea but I cold brew that.

2.4kW actually, and they're called kettles. How the **** do you heat hot water to make coffee, tea, or to put in a saucepan to cook food?

If "I'm cooking, I heat the saucepan on the range, like normal people.
We have electric kettles that go up to 1800 watts. I don't think I'm
going to rewire all the houses in America to get to 2400. Besides,
the one I have heats fast enough. There is almost always something else
to do while the water is heating, eg cleaning the old coffee out of
the French press, grinding the coffee, finding the muffins, etc.

And there's a 2.2kW angle grinder sat to my left. Where the **** would you plug that in in your home?

Again, I think you're hung up with specs that you don't understand. I can
show you shop vacs that are rated at "6 hp". They plug into a 15A receptacle.
Does it really develop 6 hp and pull the power that would require? no.
I suspect your angle grinder rating is based on a locked rotor or similar,
not actual usage. We have all kinds of angle grinders, including big,
heavy duty ones that are 9", that come with a 120V, 15A plug and work fine

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

But you can't plug up to a 3.1kW device into any outlet you like anywhere in the house. Power tools, fan heaters, kettles, irons, two things on one adapter, there are so many things that half the power just ain't enough for. It's so much more convenient in the UK to be able to power anything in any room from any socket.

How much portable 3KW equipment do you have? It is pretty hard to find
anything you can carry around except your 2kw tea pots that is more
than 1440w. We are not in that big a hurry to drink tea ... or drink
tea at all.
I drink iced tea but I cold brew that.

2.4kW actually, and they're called kettles. How the **** do you heat hot water to make coffee, tea, or to put in a saucepan to cook food?

And there's a 2.2kW angle grinder sat to my left. Where the **** would you plug that in in your home?

Being in the USA, I wouldn't be so stupid as to buy a 240V grinder
knowing that our voltage is 120V. I'd buy a 120V, 2200 Watt one,
like this Dewalt that I could plug in.

https://www.engineersmate.com/produc...0-Volt/P313782

Anything else I can help you with today?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 12:47:06 -0700 (PDT), tardo_4, the notorious,
troll-feeding Yankietard, driveled again:

FLUSH the Yankietard's retarded bull****

Just what kind of a retard are YOU, tardo_4? tsk
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 13:16:23 -0700 (PDT), tardo_4, the notorious,
troll-feeding Yankietard, driveled again:

Anything else I can help you with today?

Of course, tardo_4, keep sucking his unwashed cock. That's EXACTLY what he
needs senile Yankietards for!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Show me the model of these devices so I can look them up.

--
You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Of course if you converted to the proper 240V like the rest of the world, you wouldn't have to have a different version of every appliance made for you.

--
You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

But you can't plug up to a 3.1kW device into any outlet you like
anywhere in the house. Power tools, fan heaters, kettles, irons, two
things on one adapter, there are so many things that half the power
just ain't enough for. It's so much more convenient in the UK to be
able to power anything in any room from any socket.

How much portable 3KW equipment do you have? It is pretty hard to find
anything you can carry around except your 2kw tea pots that is more
than 1440w. We are not in that big a hurry to drink tea ... or drink
tea at all.
I drink iced tea but I cold brew that.

2.4kW actually, and they're called kettles. How the **** do you heat
hot water to make coffee, tea, or to put in a saucepan to cook food?

I turn the burner on...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

But you can't plug up to a 3.1kW device into any outlet you like
anywhere in the house. Power tools, fan heaters, kettles, irons, two
things on one adapter, there are so many things that half the power
just ain't enough for. It's so much more convenient in the UK to be
able to power anything in any room from any socket.

How much portable 3KW equipment do you have? It is pretty hard to find
anything you can carry around except your 2kw tea pots that is more
than 1440w. We are not in that big a hurry to drink tea ... or drink
tea at all.
I drink iced tea but I cold brew that.

2.4kW actually, and they're called kettles. How the **** do you heat
hot water to make coffee, tea, or to put in a saucepan to cook food?

I turn the burner on...

For cooking - for sure.

Or for coffee or tea I use the Kuerig.

A 1500 watt kettle heats water plenty fast enough for making hot
beverages.
The old toasters were also pretty fast. I think some of the cheap
Chinese crap we get is made for 240 with a 120 volt cord - - REALLY
slow compared to the older North American made stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

But you can't plug up to a 3.1kW device into any outlet you like
anywhere in the house. Power tools, fan heaters, kettles, irons, two
things on one adapter, there are so many things that half the power
just ain't enough for. It's so much more convenient in the UK to be
able to power anything in any room from any socket.

How much portable 3KW equipment do you have? It is pretty hard to find
anything you can carry around except your 2kw tea pots that is more
than 1440w. We are not in that big a hurry to drink tea ... or drink
tea at all.
I drink iced tea but I cold brew that.

2.4kW actually, and they're called kettles. How the **** do you heat
hot water to make coffee, tea, or to put in a saucepan to cook food?

I turn the burner on...

For cooking - for sure.

Or for coffee or tea I use the Kuerig.

I'll stick with beans freshly ground in a Kyocera mill and brewed in an
Aeropress with unchlorinated, unfluoridated water brought to a boil over
a gas flame....

Kuerig seriously? I'd leave a trail of those expensive little pods
behind me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I just use it, generally, to make a cup of hot water for Tea - ior
hot chocolate. I'm not a coffee drinker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

But you can't plug up to a 3.1kW device into any outlet you like anywhere in the house. Power tools, fan heaters, kettles, irons, two things on one adapter, there are so many things that half the power just ain't enough for. It's so much more convenient in the UK to be able to power anything in any room from any socket.

How much portable 3KW equipment do you have? It is pretty hard to find
anything you can carry around except your 2kw tea pots that is more
than 1440w. We are not in that big a hurry to drink tea ... or drink
tea at all.
I drink iced tea but I cold brew that.

2.4kW actually, and they're called kettles. How the **** do you heat hot water to make coffee, tea, or to put in a saucepan to cook food?

In a coffee maker. I cold brew tea.

And there's a 2.2kW angle grinder sat to my left. Where the **** would you plug that in in your home?

Do you have a link to where I can buy one of them? What model is it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Most people in the UK use a 3KW kettle.
Being hot tea lovers, we must have our brew boiled twice as fast ;-)

--
Bod

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have an electric kettle at home I found at a thrift store years ago and paid $3.00 for it. It is extremely useful when I was in need of boiling water for Ramen Noodles. I really don't drink hot tea or coffee so I used it for other things in need of hot water. It whistles when it's ready and uses a standard 120vac outlet so I can plug it in anywhere in the house. I could boil water on the gas stove but that seems like a waste of energy and dumps heat into the house in the summer months for the air-conditioning to deal with. The electric kettle is very convenient. As I recall, it draws 800 watts at 120vac which is not very much power for what it does. It's one of the most useful small electric appliances that I own. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Boiled Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 20:54:24 -0600, lowbrowman, yet another endlessly
driveling senile idiot, blabbered again:

2.4kW actually, and they're called kettles. How the **** do you heat
hot water to make coffee, tea, or to put in a saucepan to cook food?

I turn the burner on...

Looks more like the unwashed Scottish ****** turns YOU on, lowbrowman! BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ESPECIALLY Senile Yank Alert! LOL

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 01:47:33 -0700 (PDT), Auntie Senile Monster drooled and
driveled again:

I have an electric kettle at home

No ****! Do you? LOL

[8~{} Auntie Foiled Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

But you can't plug up to a 3.1kW device into any outlet you like anywhere in the house. Power tools, fan heaters, kettles, irons, two things on one adapter, there are so many things that half the power just ain't enough for. It's so much more convenient in the UK to be able to power anything in any room from any socket.

How much portable 3KW equipment do you have? It is pretty hard to find
anything you can carry around except your 2kw tea pots that is more
than 1440w. We are not in that big a hurry to drink tea ... or drink
tea at all.
I drink iced tea but I cold brew that.

2.4kW actually, and they're called kettles. How the **** do you heat hot water to make coffee, tea, or to put in a saucepan to cook food?

If "I'm cooking, I heat the saucepan on the range, like normal people.

A kettle heats it much faster.

We have electric kettles that go up to 1800 watts. I don't think I'm
going to rewire all the houses in America to get to 2400.

Actually the newer kettles using he flat heatplates instead of traditional elements are 3kW.

Besides,
the one I have heats fast enough. There is almost always something else
to do while the water is heating, eg cleaning the old coffee out of
the French press, grinding the coffee, finding the muffins, etc.

I don't have to find other tasks to do.

And there's a 2.2kW angle grinder sat to my left. Where the **** would you plug that in in your home?

Again, I think you're hung up with specs that you don't understand. I can
show you shop vacs that are rated at "6 hp". They plug into a 15A receptacle.
Does it really develop 6 hp and pull the power that would require? no.
I suspect your angle grinder rating is based on a locked rotor or similar,
not actual usage. We have all kinds of angle grinders, including big,
heavy duty ones that are 9", that come with a 120V, 15A plug and work fine

It uses the rated amount of power when you're grinding, obviously less when it's free running.

--
Phone answering machine message: 'If you want to buy marijuana, press the hash key.'
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I just tested a vacuum cleaner rated at 2kW. It consumed 1.95kW of electricity.

--
Phone answering machine message: 'If you want to buy marijuana, press the hash key.'
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And Italy apparently manages with 3kW for their entire house. But then some of us are a little bit more advanced.

--
Phone answering machine message: 'If you want to buy marijuana, press the hash key.'
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Your outlets don't do 2.2kW.

--
There are more men than women in mental hospitals - which just goes to show who's driving who crazy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonHaus-Gri.../dp/B01MTCD0QQ

The exact model I was going to buy, but at only £55.

Then I found a Hyundai (more reliable well known make) at £45.

These things go through concrete blocks or brick like it was butter.

--
We always hold hands. If I let go, she shops.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And here is the 110V version that I could plug in he

https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3...7kRtQL7opE72Sg

Anything else I can help you with? Again, this is a specmanship issue.
I suspect you're 2200 watt rating is with a locked rotor or similar.
We have angle grinders, including 9" ones, out the whazoo that plug into
a 15A receptacle. There is no "problem".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile Yank Alert! LOL

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 08:53:58 -0700 (PDT), tardo_4, the notorious,
troll-feeding Yankietard, driveled again:

And here is the 110V version that I could plug in he

https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3...7kRtQL7opE72Sg

Anything else I can help you with?

Sure, KEEP sucking him, senile sucker of troll cock!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Does it hell. I find myself tapping my foot for a kettle or microwave. **** knows how people managed to cook in ovens. If you're hungry now, you'll be starving in an hour.

The old toasters were also pretty fast. I think some of the cheap
Chinese crap we get is made for 240 with a 120 volt cord - - REALLY
slow compared to the older North American made stuff.

I think if you put 120V across a 240V heating element it wouldn't toast at all. P=V^2/R, so one quarter of the heat. You'd just get warm bread.

--
"I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

800W?! That must take hours.

--
Abdicate (v.), to give up all hope of ever having a flat stomach.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 23:47:46 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

I have an electric kettle at home I found at a thrift store years ago and paid $3.00 for it. It is extremely useful when I was in need of boiling water for Ramen Noodles. I really don't drink hot tea or coffee so I used it for other things in need of hot water. It whistles when it's ready and uses a standard 120vac outlet so I can plug it in anywhere in the house. I could boil water on the gas stove but that seems like a waste of energy and dumps heat into the house in the summer months for the air-conditioning to deal with. The electric kettle is very convenient. As I recall, it draws 800 watts at 120vac which is not very much power for what it does. It's one of the most useful small electric appliances that I own. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Boiled Monster

800W?! That must take hours.

OK that is about a pound of water (a pint or .5 l according to the
directions) Call it 145 BTU assuming you start with 67 F water.
800w/hr = 2730 BTU so it is about 1/19th of an hour, ~3.15 minutes.

I think you can wait 3 minutes for Ramen. (that is about as long as it
takes in my microwave too)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Most microwaves are 800 to 1000 watts, so that makes sense.

Not too long ago electric tea kettles were very common in Canada and
almost unheard of in most of the USA. I remember friends coming to
visit fromthe states back in the sixties buying several and taking
them home as gifts forfamily and friends. They had never seen them!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My first experience with teapots was in New Zealand. You can really
cook up a couple of hot dogs pretty fast. Other than that I was not
sure what to do with it. I don't drink much hot tea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The kettle is mostly plastic so there is no heat loss. It actually heats water rather quickly. I'd basically put the amount of water I need in it and the less water, the quicker it boils. I would put water in it, plug it in and go about my other activities until I heard it whistle. I never timed it but it does the job and that's all I care about. I'd buy the ramen noodles that came in the foam cup and it takes very little water to prepare the noodles in the cup. The flat packaged noodles take a bit more water and time to prepare but it's not a problem. ^_^

I miss cooking because I'd experiment quite a lot which was fun for me. No batch of pasta sauce was ever the same and I'd make a large pot of it. I usually put ground beef and meatballs in the sauce but I've used ground turkey or ground pork. I've even put diced chicken breast in the sauce. Cooking various bits of dead animal with lifeless plant matter can be very fulfilling if one enjoys that sort of thing. Of course, I like to eat. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Hungry Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 22:17:31 -0700 (PDT), Auntie Senile Monster drooled and
driveled again:

The kettle is mostly plastic so there is no heat loss. It actually heats
water rather quickly. I'd basically put the amount of water I need in it
and the less water, the quicker it boils.

Geezuz Christ! What a driveling idiot! ROTFLOL

[8~{} Auntie Absolutely Idiotic Monster