Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default 13 amp plug power meter - any recommendations?

On 26/04/2018 16:55, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 26 April 2018 16:34:48 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 26/04/2018 15:07, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

measuring my PC's consumption now at 35W and 58VA.

So how much would you say your electric company charges you to
have the PC on for say 10 hours is they charge 20p per KWh ?
Domestic electricity meters all measure Watts rather than VA, so
7p at that price.

The win10 laptop PC I have on 24x7 monitoring my aquarium and stuff
uses about £10 per year, less if it remembers to turn the screen
off.

What and why does it monitor an aquarium ? I used to have 3 aquariums
even the shops don't use laptops for such a thing, and laptops don't
seem the best option either. This sort of thing would be ideal for a
pi or arduino project we ran a greenhouse equivalent a few years ago
for student projects.

Sensors that measure light, temp, NO3, Ph, etc.

The Rpi running the remote USB sensors is probably using as much.
Maybe I should move the laptop and avoid the USB over wireless? All
the software runs on win10 as well as the Rpi. It doesn't all run
on the Rpi though.

what sort of software is required to run or monitor an aquarium ?

Stuff thats written to use the sensors, it runs on windows and uploads
to a web site and sends SMS messages if something goes wrong.

If you have a few hundred quids worth of fish you might want to know
when things are going wrong well before they die.