Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Why are motors not current limited?

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 01:25:56 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 21:24:31 -0400,
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 14:21:04 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

And that's about right. Sure we have more devices like tablets, smartphones,
LCD TVs. But they use little power. The reduction with more energy
efficient AC, lighting, TV, furnace blowers, etc has more than offset
the increase in number of appliances.

Pretty flat for about 20 years.
https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EG.USE.ELEC.KH.PC?locations=US

You'll probably find that the usage of central AC has increased,
largely offsetting the efficiencies you note.

HVAC is getting a lot more efficient tho so that will tend to null.
The thing that makes overall usage higher is the number of yankees
moving south and still wanting their house to be 70 all year long.

Today's AC uses about half what my old 45 year old unit used.
The circulating fan in the air handler is also about 50% more
efficient.