Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 13 amp plug power meter - any recommendations?

On Thursday, 26 April 2018 12:58:10 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 26/04/18 12:54, David wrote:
I'm finally getting around to thinking about replacing a plasma TV (not
full HD, only SD tuner) if it is too power hungry.

To do that I need to estimate the power drain over 24 hours (or even a
week) and guestimate how much it is costing per year in electricity. A
cost of around £100 per year (say) would be a strong case for a modern LCD
screen. However as the whole house bill is around £1,000 a year this may
be unlikely.

Amazon seems to have some meters around the £10-£20 mark.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Energ...lectricity/dp/
B00E4H0L40

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Energenie-429-856UK-Power-Meter/dp/B003ELLGDC

so will these be reasonably accurate?

Any recommendations?

I can reuse to measure various other pieces of kit, mainly computers.

Cheers

trouble wih almost all 'power meters' is that they dont measure RMS
power, they tend to measure VA or some approximation to RMS that falls
down badly when faced with a switched mode power supply

Unless you know how they are measuring the power, be careful.

Does that realy matter that much unless you want better than 5% accuracy and even them you might not know how they measure your power usage does your energy supplier use RMS or average how much to they account for the phase shift caused by SMPS in computers and TVs and most devices now.
I'm not sure whether or not it matters whether it's RMS or average at this scale.

I have maplin versions at home and at work, they have always been OK for such things and pretty much given me the info I needed.