Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife Jimmy Wilkinson Knife is offline

Default Why are motors not current limited?

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 20:47:06 +0100, trader_4 wrote:

On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 3:22:29 PM UTC-4, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 23:42:13 +0100, wrote:

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 19:57:09 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

But you can't plug up to a 3.1kW device into any outlet you like anywhere in the house. Power tools, fan heaters, kettles, irons, two things on one adapter, there are so many things that half the power just ain't enough for. It's so much more convenient in the UK to be able to power anything in any room from any socket.

How much portable 3KW equipment do you have? It is pretty hard to find
anything you can carry around except your 2kw tea pots that is more
than 1440w. We are not in that big a hurry to drink tea ... or drink
tea at all.
I drink iced tea but I cold brew that.

2.4kW actually, and they're called kettles. How the **** do you heat hot water to make coffee, tea, or to put in a saucepan to cook food?

If "I'm cooking, I heat the saucepan on the range, like normal people.

We have electric kettles that go up to 1800 watts. I don't think I'm
going to rewire all the houses in America to get to 2400.

Besides,
the one I have heats fast enough. There is almost always something else
to do while the water is heating, eg cleaning the old coffee out of
the French press, grinding the coffee, finding the muffins, etc.

And there's a 2.2kW angle grinder sat to my left. Where the **** would you plug that in in your home?

Again, I think you're hung up with specs that you don't understand. I can
show you shop vacs that are rated at "6 hp". They plug into a 15A receptacle.
Does it really develop 6 hp and pull the power that would require? no.
I suspect your angle grinder rating is based on a locked rotor or similar,
not actual usage. We have all kinds of angle grinders, including big,
heavy duty ones that are 9", that come with a 120V, 15A plug and work fine

And Italy apparently manages with 3kW for their entire house. But then some of us are a little bit more advanced.

--
Phone answering machine message: 'If you want to buy marijuana, press the hash key.'