Posted to uk.d-i-y
FMurtz FMurtz is offline

Default Protecting outdoor bolts

wrote:
Hi All

I am restoring a bench where all the metal fixings had rusted. Some joints have large barrel nuts and bolts and others bolts and inset nuts.

I was thinking of putting something on them before refitting to try and protect them. I had a few thoughts...
- use something like vasaline but guess the oil would ingress into the wood.
- paint them before they go in.
- given they are all M8 the rust is probably superficial anyway so only need to deal with the thread to tighten if necessary at some other point.

Anyone have any ideas on how to prolong the life of this?

Thanks in advance

Lee.

Nickel or bronze anti seize all over the thread