Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Why are motors not current limited?

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 18:10:14 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...

Wile it is true that we typically have double outlets, both outlets
are fed by a single pair wires coming into the box. There are some
exceptions where there are two pairs of wires, each connected to one
of the outlets. This is usually done so that one outlet can be
controlled by a switch and the other is not, and each is often
connected to a separate circuit.

Why on earth would you need to wire it up like that to have a seperate switch? I have double outlets in my house in the UK, with a single pair of wires feeding it. There's a switch on each one, and I alsdo find it odd ou don't have switches on every outlet. The UK used to have no switches on outlets, but they're all switched

now.

The double outlets are usually
manufactured with copper bands joining the two connecting points on
the sockets. This blows your theory right out of the water. You
obviously don't have a clue asa to how our system works, whether or
not you like the way it works.

I'm only repeating what I've heard, that they have -120, 0, +120V to double outlets. An American told me this long ago.

Many places had one side of an outlet switched. It was often before
overhead lighting. The side that was switched would have a lamp plugged
into it. The switch would be on the wall near the door so you could
switch on the light before entering the room

It is/was code in some areas. Either the room had to have permanent
lighting (e.g. ceiling lights) or at least one switched outlet. It
has to have unswitched outlets at the normal spacing, so splitting
outlets makes a lot of sense.

Someone told you something different than what you heard.

More likely he didn't understand *anything* he was told.

Unless it was done special like I have wired some outlets, the standard
practice is that both outlets on that one doublesocket is fed together.
that is the hot side and the neutral side of both outlets are wired
together.

I do have a couple of sockets wired so each outlet of the double outlet
are connected to each side of a 240 volt line. The reason is it is next
to a 240 volt socket that feeds that 120 volt one. I did that for my
ham radio station so I can run an amplifier on 240 volts. I also have a
120 volt amplifier that draws lots of current so when using it, I have
heaver wire. That is one place where your system of everything on a 240
volt line would have been handy.

That (Edison circuit) isn't cricket. You can't guarantee the neutral
current is within spec. I have 220V outlets wired with normal 12/2
(with white wire painted red) but a shared neutral between two 120V
circuits on opposite legs of the 240V isn't legit.

No reason I see that isn't just as sound as any other Edison circuit,
as long as the breaker is sized for the conductors. If he has 12 gauge
wiring, with a 20 amp double breaker, the neutral current will not
exceed 20 amps.