Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife Jimmy Wilkinson Knife is offline

Default Why are motors not current limited?

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 00:19:07 +0100, trader_4 wrote:

On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 2:57:17 PM UTC-4, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 00:36:56 +0100, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Mon 23 Apr 2018 01:01:20p, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife told us...

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 20:16:00 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Mon 23 Apr 2018 11:31:01a, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife told us...

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 18:48:31 +0100, trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 1:22:17 PM UTC-4, Jimmy Wilkinson
Knife wrote:
On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 15:58:16 +0100, trader_4
wrote:

Here's an idea. Almost the whole rest of the world drives
on the right side. Why don't you convert? It's easy. Just
do it a street at a time, having cars drive both on the left
and right while making the transition. They could sell new
cars with the steering wheel on the left, and just evolve
over time. It would be easy.

That's nothing like the same thing, you're seriously **** at
analogies. You're currently driving on both sides of the road
with two voltages. Im suggesting you gradually move to one of
them.

It's exactly the same thing. Being right drive obviously works
for you. But, heh, I don't like it. So, you should change and
be like almost all of the rest of the world. Just like your
crazy idea of rolling out new household appliances that are
240V, rolling out cars that are left hand drive should
similarly be no problem, converting over highways, little at a
time, should go just swell. So, get on with it already!

Look ****wit, the analogy is fatally flawed. We drive on ONE
side, you drive on ONE side. But with electrics we have ONE
voltage and you have TWO. It's not about CHANGING voltage, it's
about phasing out one of them.

Easier said than done! Period!

But it isn't a big task, you just do it gradually. Start putting
in some 240V outlets in new houses, make new equipment take the
higher voltage. Make adapters, whatever. Aren't your 110V
outlets actually split phase so you can just replace the plate
with a single 240V socket and ignore the centre tap?

I'm not sure, and I'm too old to care. All of my lights, small
appliances, and electronic gear work just fine the way they are.

But you can't plug up to a 3.1kW device into any outlet you like anywhere in the house. Power tools, fan heaters, kettles, irons, two things on one adapter, there are so many things that half the power just ain't enough for. It's so much more convenient in the UK to be able to power anything in any room from any socket.

Funny thing is that I and the others here have all that's on your list
and more working perfectly fine.

Of course if you converted to the proper 240V like the rest of the world, you wouldn't have to have a different version of every appliance made for you.

--
You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think.