Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dan S. MacAbre[_4_] Dan S. MacAbre[_4_] is offline

Default Alternator regulator on mower, G G L C W terminals, meaning?

Chris Green wrote:
I am trying to work out how the wiring on a newly acquired
(secondhand) mower works. I have what are supposed to be the wiring
diagrams for it but none matches exactly.

The current (ha, ha) conundrum is the meaning of the letters on the
regulator. It's a Hatz diesel engine and has an alternator with a
separate external regulator. I have the Hatz manual but that is no
more forthcoming than the mower wiring diagram.

The regulator has terminals marked with the letters G G L C W. I can
work out that the G G terminals are for the output from the alternator
but the others have me rather stumped. The W terminal is not
connected in any of the wiring diagrams I have. The C connector seems
(in most cases) to be connected to switched battery +ve, i.e. it will
get 12v on it when the ignition is turned on. The L connector has me
totally confused, it's connected to the engine hours meter and thence
via an 82 ohm resistor to something that will be at 12v when things
are running normally. The regulator is connected to ground/0v by its
case. The alternator has a connection direct to battery +12v in
addition to its two G G connections.

The Hatz engine is German so the letters may mean something in German.

I'm not at home at the moment so I can't provide a picture or much
more detail.

Any information or pointers would be most welcome.

Have you seen the manual here? Although I guess you probably have a
paper copy.

http://vi.dzima.com/wp-content/uploa...hop_manual.pdf

In the circuit diagram for current and voltage measurements, the W
terminal is labelled '22'. The designation for 22 is "Terminal W for
engine-speed measurement". It looks like L is supposed to go to a
display panel.