Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson[_2_] Andrew Mawson[_2_] is offline

Default Removing / Installing Fluorescent Starters

"T i m" wrote in message ...

That's probably the first reasonable DIY use for them that I've come
across.

You need to look around more. ;-)

I have printed *many* d-i-y related things and the most typical being
drilling / marking templates.

The good thing about printing rather than say knocking them up from
offcuts is that you can optimise the design to exactly what you want,
without having to worry what materials you happen to have.

The other good thing about printing is there is also less risk /
better accuracy when making them because most 3D printers will print
with sub mm accuracy, certainly much better than my eyes a rule and
pencil these days. ;-(
snip

The thing is, in most cases if you can think of something and are able
to design it you can (generally) have it that day. ;-)

The last thing I did was print a bracket that allowed me to mount a
surface mount PIR lamp on the corner of a building. You can get corner
mounted lights of course but not of the particular lamp design or
price we wanted. ;-)

End brackets to allow support poles to be placed on a trailer to stop
the cover sagging ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Useful things I've 3D printed recently with my Cetus:

Tubular bracket for friends wardrobe rail
Adaptor from 3" electrical ducting to 110mm underground (cable network
between buildings)
Clips to hold the polycarbonate splash guards on my CNC Wire EDM machine
A regulator valve male taper for a milking machine washdown system for a
friend
A tray receiver to allow a Kinect sensor to perch on a monitor for 3D
scanning
A set of buttons for an infants cardigan with pictures of lambs on them
A blanking plug 55mm diameter for my Beaver Partsmaster CNC milling machine
complete with logo
A spray nozzle and mounting to replace one for my hydroponic pig cooling
misting system
Some spur gears
And of course the Starter Gripper

it's a very useful tool - doesn't get used every day but does things that
would be difficult otherwise

Andrew