Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Timber shaping

On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 12:44:34 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/04/2018 02:56, FMurtz wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 22 April 2018 20:44:52 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/04/2018 08:35, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I am about to construct a pergola. SWMBO rather likes the look of
shaped timbers as seen here on rose arch kits:

https://www.george-walker.co.uk/garden-and-landscaping/pergolas/

The effect is as if a circular cutter has been used to take a
quadrant slice from the end of each crosspiece.

I guess that a deep enough holesaw of at least 100 mm diameter
might make such a cut. If I can fit it into my pillar drill, and
clamp the timber in place, might I actually be able to complete
the job successfully?

Yup, BTDTGTTS:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Small_bookcase

The other shape I am looking to make is 4 off like the larger of
the two corner braces shown here

http://tate-fencing.co.uk/product/corner-brace/

I don't have a bandsaw, and haven't room for one. I guess a good
jigsaw might have the capacity, but I don't anticipate further
need for one. Should I just grit my teeth and buy them ready
made?

At £13 a pop, probably...

Personally I would have made up a MDF template of the shape required and
then fettled that until its a nice smooth representation of the finished
shape. Then draw round that onto the timber, and cut out close to the
line with a jigsaw or on the bandsaw. Finally, stick the template on the
wood, and route round it using a pattern following cutter.

(alternatively, just cut accurately with a jibsaw and sand out the cut
marks)

and if the OP has no jigsaw, any saw could get close enough to
complete the job with a chisel & sander, even if it means sawing at 90
degrees to the expected direction.

FWIW it's quite possible to use a handheld circular saw by swinging it
left & right rather than forwards, just be a bit careful doing so,
don't let it try to bite off too much at once.

NT

What about the old fret saw or coping saw?

Coping saw will do it fine. Although it does rather depends on how many
need shaping as yo how much fun that will be!

I'm trying to think of any saw that couldn't get it at least roughly to shape and can't, barring things like self feeding industrial bandsaws. Oh, and a crappy jigsaw with a cheapo stamped blade would be really pushing it.

NT