Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Timber shaping

On 23/04/2018 21:33, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Hence I would recommend something like:

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-...-and-carrycase

I appreciate that for a one off job its probably excessive. However once
you find how well they cut, you may find other jobs for it.

General notes on jigsaws:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/jigsaw.htm

Thanks for the details, I guess it is time for some homework.

Are jigsaw blades long (and strong) enough for 50 mm timber

Yup plenty long and strong enough for that kind of cutting I normally
use something like:

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-...aw-blad-p30972

(in reality you can cut something so long as the blade can reach through
the material at the bottom of the stroke).

I use those when cutting birds mouth joints into 50mm thick rafters for
example.

narrow enough to follow curves easily?

As long as the curve is not too tight. For example I was using a blade
like above (although the 14 tpi version) for scribing skirtings with a
torus pattern earlier today. That meant cutting round the 1/2" or so
radius. The above blades can do that, and possibly a bit tighter if you
are brutal with them. (also a cut, backup, turn a bit more, cut again
action can get tighter curves).

You can also get skinnier blades for tighter work:

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-...aw-blad-p30977

or extra long ones as well:

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-...w-blade-p30995

--