Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Removing / Installing Fluorescent Starters

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 21:16:38 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

I have MANY twin 6 foot fluorescent fittings in my workshop (72 I think) and
changing the starters is a pain - they don't stick out enough to grip, and
you have to reach round the tubes to get at them. Not easy 12 foot up. (yes
I'd like to change them for LEDs but the capital cost is huge)

There MUST be a tool to engage with the two dimples that they all have on
the exposed end - but I've never been able to source one commercially - so
today I printed one on my Cetus 3D printer. Oh boy why didn't I do it years
ago - SO much easier

Exactly my thoughts the other day where one of my (only) two fittings
in the kitchen seems to have it's starter socket recessed more than
the other, even requiring me to open the fitting up to retrieve a lost
starter on one occasion. ;-(

Did you design this tool yourself Andrew? A thin walled tube with a
couple of lugs up inside a bit to give you some turning purchase?

Cheers, T i m