Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alternator regulator on mower, G G L C W terminals, meaning?

In article ,
Johnny B Good wrote:
Although every car alternator I've seen incorporates the regulator into
the alternator itself, that's not necessarily true of the 24v
alternators used on trucks and HGVs. I used such an alternator obtained
from a scrapyard as a replacement to the dynastart on the 2 cylinder
auxiliary petrol engine on my father's 30 foot ocean going sloop some
forty odd years ago.

First alternator I had was Lucas on a P6 Rover. The regulator for that was
external.

There is an advantage. The regulator is far more likely to fail than the
alternator itself. And an external one is easier to change. So saying,
keeping the regulator away from the heat of the alternator may give it a
longer life anyway.

--
*It's not hard to meet expenses... they're everywhere.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.