Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian-Gaff Brian-Gaff is offline

Default dangerous advice?

There is always about .6v drop on a diode as well and you have to load it to
see it I'd imagine as a very high impedance can measure voltages with the
lead just hanging close to an ac source.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 08:51:31 +0100, (Roger Hayter)
wrote:

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 17:46:17 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 20:27:55 +0100
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

No,
With no load it is neither alive nor dead.

If there's potential difference WRT ground it's live even if there's
no
current. Neutral can also be slightly live. ;-)

To measure the potential difference you have to apply a load.

When you apply a load, the line becomes live or dead.

Now my mate Erwin has an iffy pussycat,

AB
In principle you do not have to apply a load, for instance a bridge
method can be used which while it may apply a minimal load, or a minimal
generator during adjustment has neither at balance.

Only at the measuring device itself, the bridge must sink current.

The bridge at one side of balance supplies current to the DUT and at the
other side of balance sinks it. It therefore passes through a point of
zero current at balance.

Even a minimal load has affected the system, thus taking the conductor
into a condition where it has a potential, or not of course.

AB

--

Roger Hayter