Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Ridge tile problem

What an odd way to price a job up!
Do they also charge gutter repairs by feet?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
Pinnerite wrote:
Three scammers offered to re-mortar the edges of my roof tiles for a
reasonable sum.

While they were up there they lifted a ridge tile claiming the whole
lot were now loose and for a large sum would be prepared to redo them.
I declined, paid what had been agreed an they left.

Later I found the remains of what looks like the lifted tile. We now
have a bucket beneath a gaping whole in our roof.

I need to replace the ridge tile. The house was built in 1971. The
tiles are a dark bluish grey in colour and very heavy. I would guess
made of concrete.

Without clambering up on the roof (I'm too old to that these days) it
is hard for me to be accurate about the size but from the fragments I
would say the sloping sides were something over 6 inches but the
width of the top I cannot say because the fragments do not match up.

Any clues about where to go to buy a replacement would be very
welcome.
My location is NW London, near Watford.

If it's any help.
A few years ago I helped out on refurbishing a bungalow. I asked the
builder guys there how much would it cost to sort out the ridge tiles on
my bungalow which I thought were looking a bit worse for wear. They said
to take down, clean up and put back - £20 per tile.
But, this price is in Lancashire.