Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replaceautomotive speakers

On Tuesday, April 17, 2018 at 1:40:05 PM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

After the car is apart and it won't go on because it's manufactured slightly
off? And then the cheap customer is mad at the shop, accusing them of being
crooks, because the cheap Chinese part they bought on Ebay must be OK.

Why would a customer assume that?

Because there are plenty of cheap, stupid and dishonest customers.
If it's the shop's fault, then they get it redone for free. Duh!

I'd bet a lot of shops have been through that drill before, so they don't
want to do it again. Again, your inexperience shows. I've seen aftermarket
parts that look perfectly fine, but won't go on because they were machined
incorrectly and are off in some critical dimension. Should the shop get
out a micrometer and a reference document and compare all the dimensions
to what they are supposed to be?

All I expect is for them to source parts at sensible price, then I'd use theirs. I've seen them charge FIVE TIMES the Ebay price.

Five times what Ebay price? Let's say it's a BMW. The Ebay price from
a BMW dealer who is selling on Ebay? The price for a reputable, recognized
parts supplier selling the same part made by Lemforder? The price for
the part from a lesser quality aftermarket suppier, like Uro?
Or the price for a no name part from China? There can be and typically
is a big difference in price between a quality part from a recognized supplier and no name Chinese junk.

Or you
put it on and it fails in a month and the cheap customer comes back
blaming the shop.

No, the warranty lies with the supplier they bought it from.

That doesn't stop cheap shysters from coming back to the shop that
put it on and blaming them anyway. I'll just create a scene, scream
loud, let other customers hear me, until the shop gives in. Gee, who
did we just hear saying they use that tactic to get what they want?

The shop can simply inform them it's their faulty part, why are you having difficulty with this simple concept?

Because it's not that simple. You just told us how you stand at a
shop, raise a big argument so that other customers can hear, just so
you can have your way. They told you they won't put on parts that you
supply. That's their right, why are you having difficulty with that
simple concept? So, if you can create a scene over that, so too can
the shyster customer who brings them a crap part and then later claims
it's the shop's fault.

Even if parts are marked as if they were from a
genuine supplier, eg BMW or one of their OEM suppliers, if it came from
Ebay or similar, they are plenty of counterfeit goods on there.
So, I have sympathy for shops that may insist on only dealing with parts
they supply.

Those shops don't get my custom.

On the topic of mobile phones:
Anything bigger than 4 inches is getting into the region where most people would have difficulty holding and using the device comfortably -- Callum Kerr, 2013.

I have an Android with a 6" screen and have no problem holding it
comfortably. I did have some concern prior to buying it, so I cut out
a piece of cardboard box the size of the phone to try it. Decided it
was OK and have no regrets. I have a good size screen I can see.
May not be able to get another one though, Trump is now at war with
ZTE and I see something about him embargoing them.

I use the internet on a 20" screen desktop (plus three other screens), I can't understand people using phone for anything other than calls or texts.

Knowing your posts here, that isn't surprising at all.

Be more specific. Why do you think it's a good idea to use 20 inches worth of web page on a minute little screen and try to type on a keyboard smaller than a child's fingers?

Because you can do it on a smartphone that fits in your pocket and that
you can easily take with you, as opposed to a PC or tablet. Got it now?
Sure the screen isn't as big, but it works perfectly fine to look up
a product while at a store, get directions, make a reservation, check
on flight status, read email, etc.