Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default dangerous advice?

In a lot of countries there is still earth at all. I encountered this in the
canary isles many years ago, and from reports I hear not a lot has changed.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
Unless you read it in the context of US (and possibly French and other
continental?) systems, where neutral isn't.

So in America and (parts of) mainland Europe, is neutral not connected to
earth potential at some point in the distribution chain?

I can see that a earthed-centre-tapped transformer for supplying 220V in
addition to (2x) 110V supply will have a higher potential between live and
neutral than between live and earth, and hence higher current, higher
ability to kill etc. But is the potential between 110V (or 220V in Europe)
live and neutral significantly greater than between live and earth?