Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech
Clifford Heath Clifford Heath is offline

Default Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replaceautomotive speakers

On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 00:24:14 +0100, Clifford Heath
wrote:

On 17/04/18 06:34, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Mon, 16 Apr 2018 13:20:55 -0700 (PDT), schrieb :

Then they are out of phase and as one cone is moving out,
the other is moving in. How noticeable it is, idk,
but audiophiles would be* horrified.

Makes sense.
Do you think that could damage the speakers?

If two stereo speakers are out of phase,
they tend to cancel out low frequencies.
You get no bass. The cutoff frequency
depends on how far apart the speakers are.
If they're less than half a wavelength
you get significant cancellation.

Try this: wire two speakers this way,
set your amp to mono, and place the
speakers directly face-to-face. Most
of the sound gets cancelled.

Am I being stupid or shouldn't ALL the sound get cancelled at ANY
frequency if you're sat midway between them?* Imagine you're sat in your
living room and have one speaker 3 metres in front of you and 1 metre to
the left, and the other 3 metres in front of you and 1 metre to the
right.* All sounds come out of the two speakers 180 degrees out of
phase.* Since the distance from the left speaker and the right speaker
to your head is identical, the sounds will still be 180 degrees out of
phase when they reach you.

Since this doesn't happen I can only assume that either:
1) you hear the two out of phase sounds with different ears and your
brain allows for this.
2) reflections off the walls mean you can always hear the sound anyway.

I've often connected speakers both ways round and never been able to
tell one was quieter than the other.

If you were in one of those weird silent rooms (anechoic?) then you
might not hear anything if you wired them up wrong.* I saw a TV program
once where you couldn't hear someone speaking if they faced the other
way, as the sound from their mouth didn't bounce off anything.* I guess
the same would happen if you were floating in mid air, like er....
space, but with air.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, you get precisely the same sound whichever
way you wire them up, I guess something just bounces.

Most of the sound you hear in any room is actually reflections.
Like 70%. So in your setup, you might get cancellation of the
direct sound, but that's only part of what you hear - and the
rest takes various paths that don't cancel.