Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replaceautomotive speakers

On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 11:22:11 AM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 16:20:21 +0100, trader_4 wrote:

On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 10:52:00 AM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 15:31:55 +0100, trader_4 wrote:

On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 10:05:24 AM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 02:38:09 +0100, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:

This is just one easy way to use Windows, Linux, and iOS together, to
quickly and easily watch a YouTube DIY at a location that has no Internet.

1. On Windows, I downloaded the desired YouTube DIY:
youtubedl https://youtu.be/Ve-kcKxbXx4

2. It's easy to transfer files into VLC over USB on dual-boot Linux:
http://i.cubeupload.com/360Laq.jpg

That's it. Now the video was on iOS playable where there is no Internet.
http://i.cubeupload.com/CuxNtP.jpg

A. I bought the tools at Harbor Freight & the speakers at Fryes:
http://i.cubeupload.com/GtSVFI.jpg

B. I followed the YouTube DIY in VLC, step by step:
http://i.cubeupload.com/IDheqM.jpg

C. I removed the decrepit Toyota OEM 20W $300 Panasonic speakers:
http://i.cubeupload.com/CweFrP.jpg

D. I had to drill holes to fit the 450W Blaupunkt 3-way speakers:
http://i.cubeupload.com/6ugHnx.jpg

E. Everything else but the holes fit perfectly back into place:
http://i.cubeupload.com/rczDpa.jpg

The only catch is that it's amazing that something as common as a 6x9" oval
speaker requires holes to be drilled in the rear deck given that these
things should simply be standard.

Why not use a Windows based tablet instead of ****ing about converting it to Apple's ****ed up language?

I'd just watch the video on a PC in my house, then go out and work on the
car and if necessary come back and watch again. It's putting in a speaker,
not rebuilding the engine. If I wanted to do it right at the car, I'd
use my smartphone on the cell network.

I fail to see why anyone would need a instructions to fit a speaker. If you're that useless, you'd be getting a shop to do it for you.

--
Never raise your hands to your kids.
It leaves your groin unprotected.

Sure, if it's very obvious how it comes apart. But many times, when working
on cars, it's not at all clear how things are put together, what hidden
fasteners are involved, how trim pieces come off, etc. You can spend hours
of aggravation, trial and error, or you can watch a youtube video for 15 mins
and know exactly what's involved and do it faster, using the
experience of someone who's actually done it. The choice is yours.
I've found videos extremely useful, taking a door panel off is an
excellent example.

I've never had a problem with anything that simple. Finding a clip is easy, it's the point that's holding it on.

--
Old Lady - "What is that funny looking thing over there?"
Zoo Keeper - "That's a kangaroo, madam. a native of Australia,"

Yet in the other thread, you're worried about how far a clay pipe can
go unsupported. Many would consider that simple. And finding a "clip"
when it comes to removing a speaker isn't what it's all about. Most
times you can't see a clip or anything from the start. We had a thread
here a month ago where a guy was having difficulty removing a speaker
even after a lot of trial and error. Many times, what you think is
obvious, just ain't so. But like I said, feel free to screw around,
wander in the wilderness and eschew easily available free video resources
that make jobs easy.